Buyer has moved

Australia Post returned a package that I sent indicating the addressee is not at the address provided. That was over a month ago. Messages to the buyer were unanswered until yesterday where they indicated they did indeed move and a new address was provided.

I contacted Ebay and they've suggested I send it because they have seen the buyer's reply with the new address. They've also indicated I would also have their protection for sellers because of the messages. Whatever that means. However, Ebay couldn't tell me if this protection also protects me against chargebacks and suggested I contact PayPal. So what protection is Ebay providing if I was to send it to the new address?

The advice had always been to send it to the Ebay / PayPal address provided on checkout. So I'm rather surprised Ebay suggested I send it to the new address! Anyone know what "security measures for sellers" they have and it actually means?
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Buyer has moved

@curraone, this would void Paypal's seller protection? If the item was cheap, I wouldn't hesitate to send it to the new address. I can't afford to lose $200+ if this goes sour.
Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

IMO ebay seller protection no longer applies.   In the first transaction, you sent the item to the correct address.   It is not your fault they weren't there.

This is a new transaction, nothing to do with ebay.   I would send it with insurance through Aust Post as PJ suggest ^^^

We should not get caught up in the ebay seller protection thing that we lose sight of the objective.    The buyer has paid, still wants the item, has let you know his/her new address, and is probably open to paying more for new postage.

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

IMO ebay seller protection no longer applies.   In the first transaction, you sent the item to the correct address.   It is not your fault they weren't there.

This is a new transaction, nothing to do with ebay.   I would send it with insurance through Aust Post as PJ suggest ^^^

We should not get caught up in the ebay seller protection thing that we lose sight of the objective.    The buyer has paid, still wants the item, has let you know his/her new address, and is probably open to paying more for new postage.

I agree with this.

I would send a PayPal invoice to cover the extra postage. I'm sure the buyer recognises it was not your problem.

Then resend to the new address they gave you.

There is only one possible transaction they could raise any INR case against you and it appears you have that covered as you used the address provided by PayPal. The fact that you re-sent is not recorded within ebay or paypal.

Somewhere down the track if they should decide to do a chargeback once again you are covered by seller protection thru paypal.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Interesting. So you think I'm still covered by PayPal seller protection when tracking says return to sender? I have the returned package, and have taken a picture for my records.

Paypal protection is as long as we prove we posted to the provided address, we are protected? Regardless of delivery?

Okay. You've convinced me I will post it provided the buyer pays for repost.

Thank you!
Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

If you send the buyer a paypal invoice for the additional postage you will be able to add in the buyers new address and leave in the notes why the money is being requested and the ebay item # and transaction ID if required can also be noted in the payment request.

When they pay and you resend the item you can add the tracking number to the transaction on the paypal site and you will definitely be covered by paypal for seller protection as they will refer to the new tracking information.

You can also add the 2nd tracking number to the ebay transaction in most cases but there may be a time limit on that.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply