Buyer has opened a dispute

A buyer has opened a dispute claiming they haven't received an item I sent back in September.  The buyer is from Russia.  I stated on my listing that shipping is via standard airmail which has no tracking and that if that if they wanted tracking it would be extra cost.  The buyer did not opt for tracking so it was sent standard airmail.  I have the Australia Post receipt of when I sent it but when I go to the resolution centre, there is nowhere to attach the photo.  It only lets you type a text message.

I've never had a buyer open a dispute before so I'm not sure what to do.  What would happen in this case?  Is ebay likely to make me refund the buyer as there is no tracking which I think is unfair as buyer chose not to pay for tracking?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

allfixelectrical
Community Member

Mail to Russia can take 4-6 weeks or even longer and unless that is made clear to a buyer then often you will receive these sort of disputes.

If the item has not been sent with tracking then there is a very good chance you will lose the case unless the item happens to turn up in the meantime.

If the item turns up after the case is resolved against you then you will just have to hope that the buyer is honest and offers to repay any money that is refunded.

The only advice I can offer is that you communicate with the buyer explaining about long postal delays being normal for that part of the world and that it has probably been held up by customs and hopefully get them to be patient in the meantime by reassuring them that it should turn up eventually.

Also try to reassure them that although it was sent without tracking, the item was definitely sent. Any proof of postage details that you have such as a postal receipt showing the parcel sent to Russia at the time you said it was and/or a customs registration number from the green customs form may help allay their concerns.

Unfortunately the way the ebay & paypal dispute systems work if this person is deliberately trying to scam you then you have no hope of winning.

If they are simply genuinely concerned, however, then delaying them from escalating the dispute to a refund claim may give the item time to turn up and then they should simply close the case themselves.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I think you take the risk if you send items overseas without some sort of tracking.  The buyer may be covering themselves before their opportunity to put in a not received claim ends just in case their purchase does not arrive before then.  However you will probably find that your chances of winning a dispute without some sort of evidence of postage are slim irrespective of whether the buyer took up that option or not. Best thing would be to ring Paypal and discuss the matter with them and ask about your postal receipt and how to send that through.  Good luck.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

If you give the buyer a choice of course they will opt for the cheaper option knowing that they will win an item not received dispute if there is no tracking. If the PO receipt has the buyer's full address on it then you can trey scanning or photographing it and sending that to Paypal as proof the item was posted but I wouldn't bet on winning even then.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I've responded to the dispute saying that it was definitely sent and because they opted for not sending with tracking, there is no tracking number. I have stated that I have the receipt and will send to them if they give me an email to send it to since I don't know how to attach via the message from the dispute reply. I have yet to here back from the buyer and this was since Friday. Unfortunately the Australia Post receipt just says Russia but not the full address. I guess I'm not going to here back from her and she's just going to wait to close off the case and try for a refund without any contact with me.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Is ebay likely to make me refund the buyer as there is no tracking which I think is unfair as buyer chose not to pay for tracking?

As the seller it is up to you to post in a safe manner to meet paypal requirements, and to protect yourself for something like this, especially for overseas parcels.

Yes, paypal will find in favour of the buyer if you can not prove 'postage'.

However,  you have the receipt for 'Russia', call paypal and ask them for assitance in answering the claim.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply