Buyer has returned item when I don't offer returns!

On another id, I sold an item of brand new clothing and clearly stated that returns were not accepted as the item was reduced to clear. In the returns section of the listing it also says no returns accepted. The buyer has returned the item stating that they don't fit. The first I learn about this is in a message they sent stating that they have already posted them back to me because they don't fit! Are buyers really able to force a return like this? Has anyone else had this happen and how did you handle it? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@go.go.gadget wrote:

On another id, I sold an item of brand new clothing and clearly stated that returns were not accepted as the item was reduced to clear. In the returns section of the listing it also says no returns accepted. The buyer has returned the item stating that they don't fit. The first I learn about this is in a message they sent stating that they have already posted them back to me because they don't fit! Are buyers really able to force a return like this? Has anyone else had this happen and how did you handle it? Thanks in advance.

No.  If you listing returns policy is no returns accepted you do not have to accept for change of mind, or does not fit. 

However, as the parcel is on its way back to you according to the buyer it seems like you are in a pickle.

Usually in this type of situation I would message the buyer and let them know that I will issue an refund for the return less the cost of eBay fees + original post charge if and the garment is in the same condition as when sent. 

However you are not under an obligation to accept the return and refund. 

You could deal with the return a number of ways, such as returning the unopened parcel parcel you receive back to the buyer as a Return to Sender or you could message the buyer and ask them for the post cost to send back to them. 

Have they opened a eBay money back guarantee case ? 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

yep ebay is now hdfvk for sellers,

look on the bright side, MBG gives u a strike for ur efforts.

Including for warranty repairs or even paid product repairs for user damages.

MBG auto strikes the seller.

And u can get billed for fees etc as if u had paid sales

when u didnt get paid but was forced by anything

including buyer requests to cancel the sale..:)

If the buyer doesnt accept the cancel....forcing u to the buyers will.

Current system is hfjkdsh

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@go.go.gadget wrote:

No.  If you listing returns policy is no returns accepted you do not have to accept for change of mind, or does not fit. 

However, as the parcel is on its way back to you according to the buyer it seems like you are in a pickle.

Usually in this type of situation I would message the buyer and let them know that I will issue an refund for the return less the cost of eBay fees + original post charge if and the garment is in the same condition as when sent. 

However you are not under an obligation to accept the return and refund. 

You could deal with the return a number of ways, such as returning the unopened parcel parcel you receive back to the buyer as a Return to Sender or you could message the buyer and ask them for the post cost to send back to them. 

Have they opened a eBay money back guarantee case ? 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, they opened a MBG case stating that it doesn't fit and that they had already sent the item back. I closed the case re-stating my no returns policy. The buyer claims to have not seen that I don't accept returns... but I find this hard to believe. Surely most people would contact the seller first before posting something back?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

A newbie or occassional buyer may miss the returns policy as its on another tab on a PC, and not obvious on a mobile device.

They should not miss a message from you or eBay regarding the matter.

Its really your own call I think.

If you get a negative you may be able to get it removed by eBay if the wording is clear that the issue was not a seller error.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Its been my experience it doesnt matter what your returns policy is.

Ebay decides in the buyers favour in the vast majority or returns/disputes etc, regardless of the facts.

If you try and fight it you end up losing the item and the money

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

That might be your experience/attitude.

There are remedies. Maybe try threads less than 4 months old.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply