Buyer is saying I sent a damaged item and I did not, with photos to prove it.

Hi,

I've never encountered this before, but I sold a Guess bag recently and posted it to a buyer, all was well.

They've just sent me three photos (two of which I don't believe show any damage) that show minor damage to the bag, which was definitely not there when I sent it to them, and is not present in my listing photos. (which were taken very recently).

They're saying they're very disappointed with my service and that the bag is irreparably damaged.

It was not at all damaged when I sent it to them and my listing photos show this.

I don't even know what I'm supposed to do now. I don't know how to issue a refund, I don't know how to respond to their claim.

I'd rather just issue a refund and have them send the bag bag, I don't want to deal with it, but I don't know how to enact this.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I do want to deal with it*

I want my buyers to be happy, I've got a great record of selling, and I wouldn't like to think I've done something wrong. I just haven't ever encountered this before.
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

It's possible it was damaged in transit.

Ask the buyer to return the item to you for a full refund.

image host
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Mind you, if they say they don't want to send it back and just want a refund,

then don't refund til you get it back.   They might be trying for a freebie.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks, I've done this now!

Thanks for your advice!

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Thankyou, that's pretty good advice! I've since learned I should not refund until they return the item to me. So I've offered for them to return it to me and ebay will give me a few days to pay refund after I've had a chance to inspect it.

It's a bit difficult finding out exactly what my obligations are as a seller on ebay! I love selling, and usually have happy people buying from me, but it can be daunting at times!

Thanks again, I'm posting this here in case anyone else stumbles on this in the same situation!

@imastawka wrote:

Mind you, if they say they don't want to send it back and just want a refund,

then don't refund til you get it back.   They might be trying for a freebie.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

make sure you get the 'same' bag back

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

As a seller, basically your obligations in EBay's eyes when it comes to not as described, is that the buyer is always right! Most sellers will lose any SNAD cases, as eBay will tell you, because they don't physically see the item, they must tKe the buyers word.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Even if the buyer sends back the same bag but different condition, the seller will not win the case. The buyer is always right in EBay's eyes. Had a buyer return a completely different item...... The buyer won the case! got to keep my expensive item plus $120 whilst I ended up with a worn out faded item. Totally different style but same brand. 😡

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

That's awful. It really destroys my confidence as a seller.
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply