Buyer is threatening legal action after dispute decided in my (seller) favour

I would be very grateful if someone could advise me -

A buyer purchased a garment on 12th april 2015 and has recently contacted me to return for a refund as a button fell off the cuff- she says there were no spare buttons but there were- attached with the orig. price tags. I replied I was not willing to refund as it was over 5 months old and has been worn. The buyer then opened a case through PayPal as `item significantly not as described'. Paypal decided in my favour (took them about 15 minutes to close in my favour!)

I guess this made her angry and she has now sent an email to my personal email address saying -`this is not over - i will take legal action against you, both within and outside of eBay' etc etc.'''

I find this really intimidating- I've been really lucky in the past and have had really great honest and friendly buyers- any advice on what to do, how to deal with this???

Thanks!

Jude

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Buyer is threatening legal action after dispute decided in my (seller) favour

Scary thought if that is so.

I do wonder though if the ebay tabs "Return this item' and signs advertising 180 day guarantee aren't giving some buyers a full blown sense of entitlement where reason has flown out the window,

I suspect some also think threats will get them everywhere.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Re: Buyer is threatening legal action after dispute decided in my (seller) favour

Oh and what about the pic on the PayPal home page alluding to "well if you order the wrong size, no problem, everyone else can pay for your mistake, so just sit back and relax - we may give your seller a defect AND if you play your cards right you can send all sorts of messages AND you can even take the opportunity to leave some heart-warming feedback about how it's the seller's fault .... blah blah blah"

OK ....... Time for a break .............. (a button fell off ...... you're a scammer .......... I'll have your account closed) ...... shakes head.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

The ice epidemic is certianly causing a lot of problems, but nutty ebay buyers? That's a bit of a stretch. If you've ever spent any time with an ice user, you'll know they can barely sit still long enough to open a browser. And they don't spend money on many things other than ice.

Not all craziness is caused by meth use, despite what commercial media would have us believe.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Oh believe me Ice users are more and more common in our society and actually I have been on the receiving end of an Ice rage so I know exactly how they behave. I even witnessed an rage in the RTA the other day because the guy failed his test.

Not all druggos behave the same way though, there are functioning people who are still messed up ice users.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Yes true Harley, I guess people can function on it ok for a while. I was thinking in terms of an actual correlation b/w a rise in irrational ebay behaviour (assuming there is one) and the rise in ice use.

I dunno.... I tend to think the nutters have always been around and it's somewhat random how many you happen to cop! I've sadly known quite a few long-term hard drug users and I can't see any of them having the time, patience or wherewithal to bother with ebay. But who knows, you might be right in some instances.

I can imagine that scene at the RTA. I spent a few hours in a big hospital emergency dept recently, and I felt very sorry for the staff.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP- I hope this person has backed off. I'll add my vote to "ignore them". They're being utterly unreasonable and will hopefully divert their craziness elsewhere soon enough.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks so much for your detailed reply-it is very helpful!

Warmest regards,

Jude

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks- the `forward' seems to have worked (at least she is not bombarding me with more nasty emails now!)
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

If she was silly enough to go to court over a button

Then she would have to fight eBay over their decision

Not you 

So the court could only rule against the decision

In which case if they ruled in her favor the most you would be

Obliged to do is give her money back

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply