Buyer left negative feedback two months after transaction

Hello all,

I've been a long time ebay member (since 1998) and just received my first negative feedback.  I'm asking for a little advice on how to handle it.  I sold a used item and the buyer left negative feedback seven weeks after the item was delivered.  The buyer made no attempt to contact me and I just happened to notice it when I was searching for a different item to purchase.  I just made an initial attempt to contact the buyer and am waiting on a reply.  Does anybody have any tips on what to do?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Wear it. You can send the buyer a feedback revision request, but they are limited. My philosophy is if they don't try to get their money back (which is what I sell for, not dots), block them and move on.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I'm not sure contacting the buyer was the best way to go but you've done it now, just await a reply and take it from there.

Nothing good is going to come of contacting them (or so i suspect). They are unhappy with the item and we don't know why they left it for 7 weeks to leave feedback. Perhaps it developed faults after a few weeks or perhaps they are just generally slow to get around to things, including reviews. Could even be they didn't use it for a while. We just don't know.

But.. if they didn't contact you about it, then it seems they are just wearing it, unhappy but not demanding a refund. Their time to open an ebay claim has passed. That still leaves paypal but they may not know of it or think of it.

If they do reply to you, detailing a problem, you may be able to help with technical advice on how to fix it. Just keep it all polite etc as I am sure you would.

If they reply with an angry rant, saying they should be refunded etc, I would ignore it and not reply at all. Don't get into a back and forth fight.

I can imagine it is a disappointment to get a neg after all this time, especially when you feel it may be unwarranted. When we used to sell, we had the perfect 100% too but I have to tell you it was a close run thing on a couple of items with totally unreasonable buyers, whose expectations with postage costs etc were not from planet Earth. For most sellers, the occasional neg is inevitable so don't let it overly worry you. Buyers tend to look for overall trends in FB, if they look at it at all. And yours is strongly positive. I wouldn't hestitate to buy after the great comments from others. One neg won't kill you.

I think most sellers want to know about & fix any problems if they can but just make sure you look after your own interests too.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

springy... I think the OP may have found their way back to the US.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I agree with what springy said.

By the way, this is the Australian board... 🙂

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

You can send a revision feedback request. But many buyers ignore it.

After two weeks? you will need to contact eBay to remove unreasonable negative feedback. If you are an effective, honest seller then eBay will happy to assist you. 

P.S

I also replied to the buyer under the buyer's negative feedback. I described honestly what I efforted and did for the item to send to the buyer that eBay could see it.  It could help you to remove your unreasonable feedback.  Cheers! 

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@the-banksia-on-the-rock wrote:

You can send a revision feedback request. But many buyers ignore it.

After two weeks? you will need to contact eBay to remove unreasonable negative feedback. If you are an effective, honest seller then eBay will happy to assist you. 

P.S

I also replied to the buyer under the buyer's negative feedback. I described honestly what I efforted and did for the item to send to the buyer that eBay could see it.  It could help you to remove your unreasonable feedback.  Cheers! 

It's actually 2 months, not 2 weeks since the OP posted, so probably 4 months since the feedback.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Maybe the buyer thought it wasn't worth it coz generally the buyer would have to pay to return the item...to get a refund.

maybe offer a "full" refund, then perhaps they'll revise the FB

But, seeings as there's a failure to communicate, use that as a bargaining tool so they remove the FB first?

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Maybe look at dates. After more than 2 months eBay avenues are unavailable.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Then why did you suggest - 

You can send the buyer a feedback revision request

?

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply