Buyer not understanding

Ok, Im an Australian seller, (who lists on Ebay au site).

Ive just had a buyer, who hit on a Buy it now item, and was listed in australian dollars. Buyer attempted to pay the american conversion rate, and with NO postage cost on it. She told me I was trying to rip her off. I attempted to tell her the rest of the world does NOT deal in US dollars. She told me I was ripping her off.

I finally got her to pay for item.

She has now received item. Job description, mentions all about the item, even where the name of the item is astated in the auction description, and there is a photo from me even showing it. 

She tells me I didnt.

What can i do to stop her from doing this again, besides blocking her?

Thanks for any help given

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Buyer not understanding

I think blocking her is what most sellers would do.

If she creates or already has another account and tries to buy from you again, you can report her to eBay for trying to circumvent blocking.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Buyer not understanding

why wouldnt you want to block her.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Buyer not understanding

Your post isn't hugely clear, tbh. There seem to be a few issues at play.

You do not have anything in the description to say that buyers should contact you for a postage quote before purchasing. If you're expecting people to wait for an invoice with postage added on, without them knowing upfront what the costs are going to be, then you're going to have continual problems. It is very easy to work out the international postage for most destinations and then apply it in your postage policy. That way there are not hidden costs for the buyer.

In fact, it would be entirely reasonable for a buyer to assume there are no additional costs/postage costs associated as nothing comes up when they choose their destination country. For example, clicking on the USA drop down in the postage calculator just says that you will post within 2 days of payment. 

There are a number of other problems with your listings. In the one I looked at, you say no postage to Italy, Germany etc, but they are actually still part of your postage locations and have not been excluded.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Buyer not understanding

Thank U all for your reply. All very usual and helpful.

Main problems, she told me I was attempting to rip her off by asking for Aussie dollars that she claims DO NOT exist and she will only pay in us dollars. I have nothing wrong with us dollars, but I listed on au site in au dollars.

Thank U again

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Buyer not understanding

If a buyer is that stupid, you should have blocked them right away - going through with sales to people who are throwing up red flags from the start always ends badly.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Buyer not understanding

I would agree. Have a decision matrix set up with risk factors; if a sale has high risk factor, itโ€™s not worth proceeding.

By the sound of it, this transaction showed more than one sign of going belly-up.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Buyer not understanding

Just out of curiosity, I looked at some of your listings and from what I could see, all included some postage cost.

I clicked into one ad further, to see what happened if I put USA for a postage quote. The message came up that the item could be sent to USA but to contact seller and request a delivery method to your location.

It didn't list a specific postage price, but you'd have to be rather foolish to see an item listed as eg $10 domestic postage within Australia, then not realise there was going to be some postage cost involved and it was going to be at international rates, which would be likely to be considerably higher than $10.

The bottom line though is quite a few buyers don't check out ads carefully.  Quite a few are foolish. They don't read the whole ad, let alone look at the fine print about postage and handling.

I agree with jellybird. If there is a way that you can work out postage costs to the destinations you do deliver to, and apply it to your postage policy, you'll save a lot of potential pain in the future.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply