Buyer opens item not received case AFTER unpaid item case closed

A buyer (ZERO feedback) bought an item on 1/11 and completed checkout indicating bank transfer payment. No payment came, and no response to my messages. Unpaid item case opened (6/11) and then closed (11/11).

Heres the kicker.. eBay system has allowed the buyer to open an item not received case. Cust service says this it a 'glitch' and just wait for the case o time out. Has anyone else had to deal with this 'glitch'?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

No but I think it would be fatal to ignore it -  use the option to reply to the dispute - do not ask ebay to step in.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I know better than to ignore it.. I've responded in the case informing the buyer that the item wasn't sent because they didn't pay.

I just hate having a case hanging over my head

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

if they didnโ€™t pay by PayPal then logic dictates that they canโ€™t get a PayPal refund.  Also, they canโ€™t get a PayPal refund for a โ€˜claimedโ€™ bank deposit.

I would be asking the buyer to send you a copy of the bank deposit slip via eBay messaging.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I would also report the buyer in an attempt to get ahead of the situation:

https://spd.ebay.com.au/RBASellerHub

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Buyer has told me she's going to send me a copy of the 'bank statement' tomorrow. I know that either she forgot to do the transfer, transferred to the wrong acc number, or is making a lame attempt to scam me. Whatever the case may be.. 

how the hell does the system allow the case to be opened in the first place?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

donโ€™t rely on just her โ€˜bank statementโ€™ showing that funds were removed from her account as that sort of thing is easily faked.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

donโ€™t rely on just her โ€˜bank statementโ€™ showing that funds were removed from her account as that sort of thing is easily faked.

I was just going to say the same.

I have almost zero computer skills. I'm not joking, very basic computer skills.But i could probably alter an online document in a matter of minutes. I know because I have done so in the past (for honest reasons to enable me to pay money to a company, not to steal or anything). Just saying, it can be done.

So if the money isn't in the seller's account, he didn't get it, no matter what the 'bank transfer' might say.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

joz15au
Community Member

I've just had a similar thing happen to me on another account, only in my case the buyer is an established member with over 5,000 feedback for both buying and selling and nothing to indicate that there have previously been any problems.  Two lots were purchased which were combined under one invoice.  After issuing the invoice the buyer sent the 'I will be paying shortly' notification so gathered it would be by bank deposit although the notice didn't specify that.  I allow 7 days for payment so after receiving nothing for 7 days I sent a reminder invoice.  No response for another 3 days so I opened a payment not received case for both items (yesterday).  Later in the day I received an INR notification in which the buyer advised they had made a bank deposit on the day of purchase but on checking they found it had been returned to their account as they had entered the wrong bsb number, and that they had now re-sent it yesterday.  I'm not sure why they have opened an INR because obviously if they only re-sent the payment yesterday the items have not been sent, and I don't know how this is allowed when there are two cases open for PNR to which the buyer has not replied.  The INR case is for one item only.  I am hoping the payment will come through within a day or two and I then can send the items and upload tracking and all will be well, but I just hate how the INR process implicates that the seller has done something wrong (options are pretty much upload tracking details or refund) when payment has not even been received.  I did reply to the INR stating that the items will be sent as soon as payment is received but I doubt eBay even reads the messages unless it escalates. 

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I wouldn't worry too much. If they paid via bank deposit, they lose any buyer protection. Even if they escalate, eBay can't force a refund. That can only happen if they pay via PayPal.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply