Buyer opens item not received case AFTER unpaid item case closed

A buyer (ZERO feedback) bought an item on 1/11 and completed checkout indicating bank transfer payment. No payment came, and no response to my messages. Unpaid item case opened (6/11) and then closed (11/11).

Heres the kicker.. eBay system has allowed the buyer to open an item not received case. Cust service says this it a 'glitch' and just wait for the case o time out. Has anyone else had to deal with this 'glitch'?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Buyer opens item not received case AFTER unpaid item case closed

Thanks Tippy, appreciate your advice.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Not only that, but even if it is genuine, it's only a receipt to prove the money left one account. It is not proof that it went to the right account, or anywhere at all. The buyer should be taking that receipt to their own bank, not the seller.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

For the ebay system to be paid status the seller has to Mark as Paid.

This is a human action and cannot be automated as is the case with PayPal payments.

So since there is no Paid status I can't see how their system should allow any INR case to be opened.

No payment = no postage, so no INR case is valid.

Has to be some form of glitch and ebay should report this to their techs to look into.

Anyway you would be safe to allow this case to time out as ebay cannot forcibly refund as no payment has been recorded within PayPal. Do not escalate it yourself just to close it out.

So even if the buyer shows you a bank statement, but nothing has arrived into your account then you can ignore that.

If the money has been taken out of the buyer's account then they need to follow it up with their own bank to recover their funds from wherever they went. I'd say they have entered an incorrect digit into either the BSB or account number along the way.

We had a similar one some years ago where the buyer simply messaged us angrily to say they had not recveived their item and to send it NOW as they had paid. They even sent us a copy of the transfer receipt which showed the BSB and Account number they used. Nothing had shown up in our account but when I checked the numbers carefully there was a digit in the middle of the account number that had been enterd incorrectly. So I let them know this and we never ever heard any more from them. Possible deliberate attempt at getting something for free, as at a quick glance the numbers all looked correct.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply