Buyer owes $50

Ebay user  purchased a pair of RM Williams boots from me today at 2:30 pm 10/02/2024 for an agreed price of $270 down from $300. Member told me his name was dragon or dragun idk how its spelled but he is slavic.

I didnt know that ebay wouldnt be able to help me, because unfortunately the payment waz a cash exchange. Now this dragun guy stiffed me $50. He is dodging all my messages and i sent him a screenshot with my payid details for him to rectify the problem. I need my money as that money he hasnt given me means that my kids dont have enough food for the week and my power is getting cut off. 

Has anybody had any dealings with him? And if so does anybody know how i can get my money? I have ways to do it myself but would prefer not to do it that way.

Thankyou to anybody that can help

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Buyer owes $50

Do I take it that you didn't advise eBay that you sold them ?

If that's the case then maybe you should think about telling them of the sale and pay the fees owing.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Buyer owes $50

Oh good grief.

1. You cannot name and shame.  As you posted, a message would have popped up telling you that this was a public board and that you shouldn’t post personal information here. Even more pertinently, the board content policy explicitly forbid it.

🚫Not allowed

• Here are some examples of content or actions that aren't permitted in the community content areas (Reviews, Guides, member-created products or product descriptions and comments). These examples provide guidance for self-publishing content on our site but shouldn't be viewed as a complete list

• […]
    • Including feedback or comments about other users
    • […]
    • Publishing personal contact information of any person in any public area of eBay, including emails, phone numbers, name, street address, etc.
    • […]

— https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/community-content-policy?id=4265

In addition, the Community Rules of Engagement explicitly forbid naming and shaming in point 9:

❝No naming and shaming.
We will not tolerate posting member details or listing information for the purpose of shaming another member.  Additionally, a members’ ID or contact information may not be published.  Any posts containing such information will be edited or removed.  More information regarding eBay’s guidelines about appropriate content can be found in both our Profanity policy and our Member-to-Member contact policy.❞

2. I’m sorry that your power will be cut off and your children won’t have anything to eat. I suggest you call your energy provider and ask for help - government subsidy, deferred payment, etc., and ask your local church or food bank  for some help with the food situation.

3. Why didn’t you collect the full agreed-upon amount at the time of pickup? That is simply odd.

4. Why would you expect that eBay would collect cash on your behalf?

5. If the transaction was today, what makes you think the buyer is dodging or ignoring you? It’s too soon to assume that. Give the buyer a chance to respond.

6. I am assuming that the ways you have in mind to collect the remaining money involve reporting this to the police or some other legal non-thuggish method. Otherwise, a disturbing impression might be given.

I really do suggest that you try not to panic and that you calmly consider things without jumping the gun.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Buyer owes $50

This is a public messageboard. None of us here (who are answering you, at least) are from ebay, we're random members of the public, just as you are.

If Dragun picked up the boots from you in person, which is what it sounds like, then I am assuming he was supposed to hand over $270 in cash, but he has handed you $220 instead.

I know it can seem a bit rude to count out the cash in front of someone, but that is what is done in all shops and that is what you also need to do before you hand over any goods.

Dragun may or may not have made an honest mistake, there is no way for us to know for sure. 

Whichever way it was, the bottom line is I strongly doubt if he is going to pay any more.

Think about it. If he deliberately underpaid you, then he would be pleased with himself for pulling it off.

If he miscounted, then he would be convinced he paid you the right amount and that you were trying to scam more out of him, so he would not reply. To be honest, if someone sent me their payid details, I would ignore it too as I have heard bad things about payid & have never used it.

You've got $220. It isn't as much as you wanted but it does mean no one needs to starve this week. Don't be so dramatic. If funds are short, go on your local facebook area page and ask where the local food banks are. And contact the power company to see what you can work out with them.

I don't see how ebay or anyone else could help you. It is just your word against his anyway. With a cash exchange, the onus is on you to check that everything is right before you hand over your item.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Buyer owes $50

I assume you used another account, as the purchase you mention doesn't appear among the items you sold in the last 90 days.

Sadly, the buyer might have made an honest mistake, in which case he will ignore your messages (he is convinced to have paid the correct amount). And if he is a scammer, he will ignore your messages too, but it is a bit odd that somebody pays in cash and tries to pay less, as usually the recipient will check they got the correct amount.

Sometimes mistakes are honest; sometimes they are not. In any case, cash should always be checked immediately. If you don't check it immediately, you have no proof, and sadly you will never get the missing money.

I am very sorry for your situation, but unfortunately you might have to accept the loss.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Buyer owes $50

arctoph_49
Community Member

I am sorry too, but there is nothing you can do, as others have already said.

Maybe you can borrow some money from friends or ask a charity to help you out? Sometimes they help with food and bills.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Buyer owes $50

Check completed listings and you will find a handful of ended listings all with local pickup only. They are no worse off financially if ebay fees had not been paid. 

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Buyer owes $50

@brickworksmarket wrote:

Check completed listings and you will find a handful of ended listings all with local pickup only. They are no worse off financially if ebay fees had not been paid. 

That's all I can see...

Screenshot 2024-02-11 082143.png

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Buyer owes $50

Just click completed only not sold it will show seller ended listings without sales

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Buyer owes $50

Oh, so the seller didn't complete the sale on eBay... 😞

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply