Buyer received empty package

jvdv
Community Member

Hi,

I have received an email from the buyer of a pair of runners which I sent in an Aust Post 3kg satchel (with tracking). The buyer has advised that "The parcel arrived however the contents had been taken. Police have been informed. Bad luck I guess".

These AP satchels are pretty secure and generally the only way they can be opened is with a knife or a pair of scissors and I'm suprised that an empty satchel would have been delivered without a note from Aust Post. I have told the buyer to notify the PO of the loss.

However I have looked at PayPal with the aim of claiming under their Seller Protection plan and although I can see their terms and conditions I can't find where to lodge a claim - or does the buyer do that?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

If the satchel really was delivered empty then it would have had some of that tape on it that AP put on there, it says something like "damaged item". I find it hard to believe they would keep passing an empty satchel on through the system right until the end. Someone somewhere would have noticed it and done something about it. I think the first thing you need to do is to get a lot more information from the buyer. You need ALL of the details first before even thinking about paypal claims. ie: was the satchel ripped open or was it cut? Was the packing in there still, or was there absolutely nothing? was there any tape on there from AP? Did the AP person who delivered it say anything about it? etc etc

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Another thing to consider is wether the item was "safe dropped" or delivered with scanning.

If the item was dropped on the door step somebody may have taken the shoes and left the bag.

Just another question to ask.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Too Many Iff''s... Ask the Customer to take pictures ... I know that anyone could have opened the satchel but you could see tape used to close it again or something which would go a way to prove that AP had opened the satchel...maybe...But if the customer is telling porkies, then it may divulge their honesty / non honesty situation...

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

No doubt that the buyer will lodge an item not as described claim with Paypal, that is they purchased a pair of runners not an empty package. There is no Seller Protection against items not as described which will result in a transaction reversal in the buyer's favour.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

The customer has since replied with the following:

The package had been ripped open, contents taken and the empty sachel was pushed into a neighbours mail box - not found until sunday evening.
Aus mail was contacted and they will look at the delivery system and speak with the company responsible, nothing heard as yet.
I went to the police station after speaking with Aus Mail and reported the loss, my son and I are due to make a statement to the Police this evening.

So it seems like a random theft.

Does PayPal cover these sorts of losses and if so is it the buyer or the seller who lodges a claim with PayPal?

Thanks,

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@jvdv wrote:

The customer has since replied with the following:

The package had been ripped open, contents taken and the empty sachel was pushed into a neighbours mail box - not found until sunday evening.
Aus mail was contacted and they will look at the delivery system and speak with the company responsible, nothing heard as yet.
I went to the police station after speaking with Aus Mail and reported the loss, my son and I are due to make a statement to the Police this evening.

So it seems like a random theft.

Does PayPal cover these sorts of losses and if so is it the buyer or the seller who lodges a claim with PayPal?

Thanks,

As far as I am aware paypal covers buyers for items not sent>>proof of shipping to be supplied by seller., or item not as described>>requires buyer to sent it back recorded delivery, a bit hard if there is nothing to send back. 

paypal does not cover failure to receive an item if buyer has proof of shipping to correct address ie lost in transit. AP insurance, which includes sign for, would be needed to cover this.

Sounds like it was not safe dropped, someone stole the item then pushed empty satchel in nearest letter box. If it was delivered empty then it would have gone in correct post box, if delivered at all. AP will have scanned it as delivered and probably wash their hands of it if not shipped as sign for.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Please keep us informed of how things go with this as I am interested to see what Will happen to a signature required item as I lost two like that as well and all Aussie post offered was replacement of the postage costs.

Sounds like negligence to me.

somebody needs to be held accountable.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Yes the Post Office needs to be held accountable if it's a signature required item,I have had plenty of lazy posties just leave items without me signing for them.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

our postie brings it around the back and hands it to us, but he doesn't get a sig even if its paid for.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply