Buyer requested return and refund

A buyer has requested a return and refund as they stated it was bought by mistake after they have received the item. I don’t think this fair for me and  I want to decline the return but if I do, will eBay take the money from me anyway? It was an expensive item and sent overseas so I’m going to lose out on a lot if money just to get it back. Also will eBay return the fees to me?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

What is your return policy? Have you ticked YES to accept returns? If so, you have accepted change of mind (buyer’s remorse) returns.

You’re not obliged to accept COM returns – unless you have said that you do. 

If your return policy states that you accept returns, you’ll have to accept this one. In that case, also check whether you’ve opted to pay for returns.

If your return policy does NOT indicate that you accept returns, then let the buyer know (very courteously) that you do not accept change of mind returns. Ask here before contacting the buyer, to word it in the best way so as to minimise the risk of the buyer becoming upset.

You can change your return policy (see https://www.ebay.com.au/sellercentre/returns) but it won’t retrospectively change anything; this case will come under the return policy you had in place at the time of the transaction. It will change current / future sales.

Of course, your obligation will always be to refund/accept returns if the item isn’t as described.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

It doesn't look to me like you accept change of mind returns, so you are under no obligation to do so. 

Perhaps suggest to them that they resell it themselves. They will probably be less out of pocket by selling it locally than they would be paying the return shipping to you. Not to mention they lose the original shipping cost they paid for due to change of mind.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Has the buyer opened a dispute? If they have and selected the reason as « not as described » you will have to accept the return and pay the the return shipping.

if they haven’t opened a dispute and you decline the return they may then open a « not as described » dispute in which case the above will apply.  If they do open a NAD dispute DO NOT ask eBay to step in help,  they’re way of helping is to refund the buyer and the buyer doesn’t need to return the item.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply