Buyer requesting a different colour to the one listed

Hi

I was just wondering if a buyer could find this confusing.

I listed a pair of tights in grey.

-Grey in my title

-Grey in my item specifics under "colour"

-Grey in all 12 photos of listing

-Grey mentioned in item description, first sentence

-Specific paragraph referring to grey fabric and the colour

However, because I was selling an identical pair of tights in black I mentioned in brackets: (I am also selling this in black). No other mentions/photos of black in the listing.

To me, this is pretty obviously meaning I do have it in another colour and it would be in another listing.

I can't list multivariation items under an auction.

However, the buyer wants me to send it in black. I'm just trying to understand if my communication in my listing was that poor.

In the future I'll just refrain from mentioning a different colour as it seems that someone might find it confusing.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Just had a look at the listing.

Dark grey Adidas warp knit leggings in size M. (I'm also selling same size in black- NWT)

This to me says you also have black ones for sale. Doesn't say 'check my other listing for black ones'.

So to me I could click on this listing and message you I want the black ones.

Many sellers do the same, message them with colour choice.

It's very common on eBay and that's probably why the buyer has done the same.

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Personally, I would understand what you meant, but for the most part it's always better to err on the side of caution, as the smallest thing can trip people up, no matter how smart they are. (I'm often surprised at some of the questions I get, when I thought things couldn't be more clear). Also, you will find that some sellers still offer 'choice' listings, where the buyer can't choose between colours or options like in a variation listing, so they are instructed to message with their colour preference - they may have seen those listings and thought it was the same kind of deal. 

What I do in cases like this is mention I have another listing for the item, so for stockings I'd say something like "this item is also listed in black" and have a link to the listing. 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Wouldn't it be strange that I didn't include any info or pictures for the black ones on the same listing?

I didn't know you could list multiple variations in an auction, only for fixed priced items.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@lonenralle wrote:
Wouldn't it be strange that I didn't include any info or pictures for the black ones on the same listing?

I didn't know you could list multiple variations in an auction, only for fixed priced items.

You can't do variation auctions, or even choice auctions actually - last I checked the latter (choice auctions) were specifically against policy, but most buyers wouldn't be aware of things like that.

Out of curiosity - did the black ones sell, and / or for the same price? 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

The black ones are new with tags so I listed them for a higher price. They didn't sell.  

I wouldn't ever list two items in one listing especially when my title and item specifics refer to that specific item. Also they are in different conditions (nwot vs Nwt). 

Because I thought there was no such thing as a variation or choice auction, the only clear reasoning would be the item listed in the auction is the item they were bidding for. Otherwise you have one listing where multiple people are bidding on variations? Who would do that? Wouldn't you want to sell to 2 people (1 grey 1 black) rather than lose out on a buyer (1 winner per auction)?

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Honestly, to most seasoned buyers, the intention would be clear enough, or so I assume since I always take it to mean "I have a different listing for this other item" when I've seen such things.

But, like I said, interpretation is highly subjective, and things that are crystal clear to one person will be less so to another, for one reason or another. 

Given the circumstances, all you can really do is explain that the black ones weren't offered in that listing, and were mentioned so that anyone insterested in other colours, or combined postage, might want to view them. Since the condition and price is different, presumably you don't want to substitute the black for the grey, but you may find a happy compromise by offering to cancel the grey and list the black ones for them, possibly with a small discount? (Not saying you should, but I probably would, since they didn't sell and it might be a way for everyone to be happy). 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@lonenralle wrote:

The black ones are new with tags so I listed them for a higher price. They didn't sell.  

I wouldn't ever list two items in one listing especially when my title and item specifics refer to that specific item. Also they are in different conditions (nwot vs Nwt). 

Because I thought there was no such thing as a variation or choice auction, the only clear reasoning would be the item listed in the auction is the item they were bidding for. Otherwise you have one listing where multiple people are bidding on variations? Who would do that? Wouldn't you want to sell to 2 people (1 grey 1 black) rather than lose out on a buyer (1 winner per auction)?

The solution would be NOT to mention the black in the grey listing, as it really doesn't relate to the grey auction/listing.

And for all the reasons mentioned.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Yeah I agree and have mentioned that as my final sentence in the first post. 

Sadly not a solution to the current issue but at least I can see other perspectives now! Lesson learnt. 

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I think it is okay to mention the black pair but you need to make it a tad clearer-maybe say something like-please see my other listings, I am also selling black tights similar to these.

That's the sort of thing I have seen on a lot of other ads where people want you to know they have something else you may be interested in but also want it clear they are a separate listing.

I think just saying "I am also selling this in black' is confusing-people would think they had a choice with that wording.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply