Buyer's address is wrong, your advice please.

I have sold an item, buyer is a newbie(0) feedback. Her postcode and the city don't match.  Seems she has put a city in, NO suburb.

I have messaged her to correct it in Paypal and eBay before I can send the item. However, in the past I have come across many who put the suburb and also the city in, and labels won't print as they have put the city in the suburb line. I had one customer I told about it, and even though she corrected it, it did not correct on the address I was seeing, so I supect it would only be correct for future sales. So this is my dilemna...even if she does correct it, I cannot send the parcel to an incorrect address if I do not see the new address, so do I need to cancel the sale and tell her to rebuy when she corrects her address, so that the correct information comes through to me? If I need to cancel the sale, and I select "something wrong with the buyer's address" does she have to agree? I wouldn't think so. However, way back I had a buyer from Spain buy from me even though I am only selling in Australia, I cancelled the sale and marked it "buyer is in a location I don't send to" and he still had to agree to the cancellation. Also, would I get a defect for cancelling? Your advice is very much appreciated.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

So you have the street and postcode but no suburb. Just google the street name and postcode and you will find the suburb. I get a few a week with suburb does not match postcode and is usually because they are on the border of two or new suburbs.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Google the street and postcode. That will give you the suburb.

Send it there.

Unless it's worth a fortune, I certainly wouldn't cancel the sale just to get dubious protection from eBay/Paypal. Even though you won't be sending to the stated, deficient, address you could certainly make a case that you sent it to the actual address.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

There are three suburbs with the same postcode, who knows if the postcode is correct! They look like an outer suburb from the City they have marked.  If I should send it to one of these couldn't they just claim "not received" especially if it is safe dropped, then I don't have a leg to stand on. I really don't see how I can legitimately supply the suburb, especially when there are three to choose from.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

A postage label could not be printed for the address in it's current form, and if I add (guess)a suburb then I am not sending to the address provided. Who knows if this is a scam.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

It is unlikely for there to be the same street name in all three suburbs, though. This happens more often than I would like, but if you google the street name and postcode together, the results will usually clarify the correct suburb. There is a risk, but I usually take it if I'm sending untracked anyway. If I'm not prepared to take the risk, I cancel and get them to re-purchase (most do, a few do not).

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

ok so I've narrowed the street name and number down to two, one of which co-incides with the postcode, so you think it would be ok to just add the suburb and print a label? Am I not altering the address by doing this?

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

It depends if you want the sale.

If there is only one street name in the supplied postcode, then it is a reasonable bet that that is the suburb.

Unless you are very lucky, you will have had to edit buyers' addresses in the past. Like the ones who put their suburb in the second address line and the city in the suburb line.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Thank Digi, I took lyour suggestion and have located the correct suburb for the Postcode.  I would need to add it and print a postage label, so it would be tracked.  Maybe I should just do that and hope for the best, just so many scammers about lately it makes me rather suspicious of anything out of the ordinary.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

Thank Digi, I took lyour suggestion and have located the correct suburb for the Postcode.  I would need to add it and print a postage label, so it would be tracked.  Maybe I should just do that and hope for the best, just so many scammers about lately it makes me rather suspicious of anything out of the ordinary.

Google the street and postcode. That will give you the suburb.

Send it there.

Unless it's worth a fortune, I certainly wouldn't cancel the sale just to get dubious protection from eBay/Paypal. Even though you won't be sending to the stated, deficient, address you could certainly make a case that you sent it to the actual address.

Community Member

Re: Buyer's address is wrong, your advice please. 

in reply to shoppingbag*

So you have the street and postcode but no suburb. Just google the street name and postcode and you will find the suburb. I get a few a week with suburb does not match postcode and is usually because they are on the border of two or new suburbs.

And eol. And Dave.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply