Buyer says I sent the wrong item but the photo looked like my listing

Buyer contacts me today. This is the message:

Just wanted to say that the item I received was not this one. The one I received is as per the photo. It's okay but would like the other if u still have it.

This is a link to my listing with the photos of the top:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/164122652992?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

This is the photo she took of the top that I sent to her:
top.jpg

Now am I crazy, or is this not the exact same top?

Anyway, how should I proceed with this? I'm thinking she may have changed her mind about the top once she received it, and in that case, I specify in the listing that it's a partial refund. I just wanted someone else to take a look at the photos and tell me what they thought.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey Kimbooley,

She was expecting the top to be darker, that's what the issue is. I've just had a look at your other listings, and in general most of your photos are underexposed a little i.e. they look darker than they should.

As kopes said above, different devices show brightness and colours differently - in an ideal world they wouldn't but that's what we have to deal with. I used to work in a photographic studio shooting clothing for a couple of major retailers, and getting things looking "correct" was a big part of our workflow.

If you haven't replied to your buyer yet, I'd send a message saying approximately the following:

Hi there, thanks for letting me know the top arrived safely! That's the correct garment you've received, but as computers and phones and tablets can all display things differently depending on their brightness and colour settings, perhaps the photos have appeared darker on your device than is ideal? It looked about right on mine when I photographed it.

I hope you still enjoy wearing it - it's a lovely looking top!

Take care,
Kimbooley

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Has she possibly got you mixed up with a different seller ? They look the same to me...........

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

I'm not sure. But the fact that she specifically took a photo of the top tells me it was meant for me. Otherwise she wouldn't have bothered. I'll have to ask her what she sees different because I know it's the same.
Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

I think padi means, the buyer is looking at a red top (for example) from a different seller and saying it's wrong.

She may have forgotten she purchased this one as well but from you.

They are the same.

A little detective work might find the answer.

image host
Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Kopes, I was going to say "nice top" but someone might have got the wrong idea about me............true.gif

Spoiler
..........even though as Musketeers we do like frilly things.................
Spoiler
                                              250px-Dartagnan-musketeers.jpg

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

maybe she thought it would be darker as your listing photos look darker than her photo i.e. โ€œItโ€™s ok but I like the darker one you had in your listingโ€

The other thing to remember is that every computer, phone, tablet, laptop will show colours differently.  

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

maybe she thought it would be darker as your listing photos look darker than her photo i.e. โ€œItโ€™s ok but I like the darker one you had in your listingโ€

The other thing to remember is that every computer, phone, tablet, laptop will show colours differently.  

I think you might be right.

As you say, I would explain to the buyer that different computers and devices show colours differently.

image host
Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Hey Kimbooley,

She was expecting the top to be darker, that's what the issue is. I've just had a look at your other listings, and in general most of your photos are underexposed a little i.e. they look darker than they should.

As kopes said above, different devices show brightness and colours differently - in an ideal world they wouldn't but that's what we have to deal with. I used to work in a photographic studio shooting clothing for a couple of major retailers, and getting things looking "correct" was a big part of our workflow.

If you haven't replied to your buyer yet, I'd send a message saying approximately the following:

Hi there, thanks for letting me know the top arrived safely! That's the correct garment you've received, but as computers and phones and tablets can all display things differently depending on their brightness and colour settings, perhaps the photos have appeared darker on your device than is ideal? It looked about right on mine when I photographed it.

I hope you still enjoy wearing it - it's a lovely looking top!

Take care,
Kimbooley

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Further to my message above, here's a quick edit of an image of the black skirt you're selling (item 164122653002) - in the original you can't really see any of the details of the design or fabric at all - that's the sort of thing a potential buyer will want to see.

edit.jpg

If I were shooting it I'd make it a little brighter again, but this is kinda the minimum you want to be at for a black piece of clothing.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

That was my immediate thought too k1ooo.

It certainly looks a much darker top in the listing.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply