Buyer stated that he doesn't authorize the purchase

I am an Ebay seller from last more than 2 years.

I have receive a notification that buyer has paid an amount for an item and have dispatch the item in 3 days.

Now the product will reached buyer, but buyer has opened a case saying that they did not authorize this purchase & Paypal has remove the amount from my account.

I have appeal to ebay and Paypal to refund my money.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I am not sure if you know you are on the Australian ebay site here.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Typically, once a buyer states they did not authorise the transaction the money will be returned to them and there is absolutely nothing you can do, no amount of appeal will get you anywhere and is just a waste of time.  Even if the buyer sends you a message saying, "Haha, I have the item and the money now, I tricked you!" and you show that to eBay, they will say they will do something but you'll probably never get a resolution - your request will just vanish into thin air.  They operate on a "the majority of good transactions outweigh the bad ones" and leave it at that.   It seems almost nothing will ever reverse the outcome of a payment dispute.

The only thing that will stop the buyer from doing it again is them doing it enough to raise the attention of the companies involved (bank, payment gateway, selling platform) under the same account(s) and if they pay attention to the patterns they will shut down the buyer (until they just open a new account of course and start doing it again).

If you're one of the sellers that the buyer does it to before the buyer is stopped then it's bad luck and hopefully you won't experience it again for a while.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

You should be covered by seller protection - you sent it with tracking within your time frame to the address on record.

Often the Ebay customer service does not follow its own guidelines, so you need to make them aware.

Is there some way you can contact the mail carrier and get it returned?

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I have had this happen to me twice now with 2 different sellers. It is obviously the latest scam. People wait until you post the item and they receive it and then they say they didn't authorise the payment. You lose your item, the money they paid for it and the postage and then ebay charges you a fee for being scammed of $20! 😡Sellers are simply not protected! I have spoken to someone on ebay about this and all they could suggest is to check feedbacks before sending it! Absolutely useless as ebay doesn't allow sellers to put negative feedback only "positive". I also don't know about the rest of you but I don't have time to trawl through everyone's feedback and then cancel transactions in case they are dodgy! I have now decided to get sellers to send me a message saying they authorise the payment and purchase to see if that will make a difference. If it doesn't I won't be bothering to sell my things on ebay just to get charged to get rid of them, I might as well take them to the tip or the nearest op shop! Ebay needs to come up with some way of protecting sellers from this scam!

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply