Buyer to inspect before bidding

I have previously posted a antique petrol Bowser which is around 60 years old,, unfortunately due to rules I cannot send mobile phone numbers or email addresses to prospective buyers to inspect as it requires extensive restoration works,, many people have requested to inspect the item but this cannot be done,, how can this be achieved, advertise this in the car section, but for cars can inspections be done before bidding,,, I seems that eBay want their commision in case the item gets taken removed
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

go-tazz
Community Member

Their local pick up "policy" states:

Local pickup

Sellers can offer a local pickup option โ€“ for example if they don't want to post large, heavy or fragile items, or they'd simply prefer to have buyers pick up the item.

How it works

• Read the listing carefully to determine the location of the item and the postage or local pickup options the seller offers. Use the Ask a question link in the listing if you need to check on anything before buying.

• Complete your purchase on eBay. If the seller hasn't entered pickup instructions in checkout, use theContact seller link to get in touch with them.

• In addition to PayPal or a credit card, you can sometimes use a cheque, money order, cash or internet bank transfer to pay for an item when you pick it up, as specified by the seller in the listing. For more information, see our Accepted payments policy.

Their accepted payment policy does include: Payment upon pickup (including cash).

If you want people to inspect before buying then Gumtree might be a better option,good.gif

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

EBay seem to think that if you speak to a buyer prior to sale, you will sell it off eBay and they'll lose a few bucks in commission. Write your details on a piece of paper. Photograph it and send it to the buyer as an attachment. It should go through OK as a regular .jpeg picture attachment.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I just got slapped with a 7 day ban on sending messages to members.

My sin was when a prospective buyer sent me a message asking itf they could collect an item.  Innocently,  I replied saying "yes" and gave my number with the requested they phone to make a mutually convenient time to visit.

Within a couple of hours I received an automated messaged from EBay accusing me of trying to make sales outside of their system - penalty is I cannot respond to any customer messages for 7 days.

Rang CS and operator acknowledged I was not attempting to effect sales outside of Ebay.  Whilst sympatheic to my situation she said she could not reverse the decision.  Said she would refer to a supervisor who was currently in a 2 hour meeting.  Do I exoect to hear back - no, they never do.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Their local pick up "policy" states:

Local pickup

Sellers can offer a local pickup option โ€“ for example if they don't want to post large, heavy or fragile items, or they'd simply prefer to have buyers pick up the item.

How it works

• Read the listing carefully to determine the location of the item and the postage or local pickup options the seller offers. Use the Ask a question link in the listing if you need to check on anything before buying.

• Complete your purchase on eBay. If the seller hasn't entered pickup instructions in checkout, use theContact seller link to get in touch with them.

• In addition to PayPal or a credit card, you can sometimes use a cheque, money order, cash or internet bank transfer to pay for an item when you pick it up, as specified by the seller in the listing. For more information, see our Accepted payments policy.

Their accepted payment policy does include: Payment upon pickup (including cash).

If you want people to inspect before buying then Gumtree might be a better option,good.gif

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

You need to work around them, writing your phone number down somewhere on the attached photo is a good idea,,,,I am looking at buying a car but I can't inspect it before placing a bid, this is a joke,,,you have the legal right to inspect goods which are up for sale,,, especially when auctioning such as eBay, will contact fair trading right now
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@quinn7145 wrote:
You need to work around them, writing your phone number down somewhere on the attached photo is a good idea,,,,I am looking at buying a car but I can't inspect it before placing a bid, this is a joke,,,you have the legal right to inspect goods which are up for sale,,, especially when auctioning such as eBay, will contact fair trading right now

Ebay is not stopping anyone from inspecting the goods before purchase, a buyer has a perfect right to inspect the goods before handing over the cash and have the right to walk away without paying if it turns out to be something they don't want.

If you want to inspect before bidding put in a low bid and then request contact information and you will be given their phone number.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

So what if it is a "buy it now" lisitng, as all of our items are?

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Wow thanks buddy good information
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

So what if it is a "buy it now" lisitng, as all of our items are?

Buyer can still walk away without paying if it is not what they want.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply