Buyer unhappy with colour, even though there were photos and sent email trying to be specific. Help

I listed a bag that to me looked white, and put up photos. A buyer asked me more specifically how white. This was my answer

“The bag could do with a leather clean all over, although it is not a bright white leather, but more an off white leather. No obvious scratches that I can see. Size 350mm wide by 300mm deep. Weight 500grams. Thanks.

The bag is a creamy white - but more grey than yellow. That is the best way I can describe it. Hope that helps.” 

This is is their reply on receiving the bag:

Goodness morning. I am writing to let you know the CR bag arrived yesterday. I have to say that your listing description as "white" in no way represents the true colour. No one would consider it white or even off white, or even grey white as you clarified to me, it is definitely more accurately described as stone or dark Ivory, neither of which are suitable for my wardrobe, and I feel I have been misled in my purchase. regards
Cristina

What can I do? I tried to be specific I think. Help.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Buyer unhappy with colour, even though there were photos and sent email trying to be specific. Help

Well, technically ivory is itself a shade of white, so even if it is ivory, calling it white as an overarching classification means it's exactly as described.... In other words, a complaint that something is ivory and not white, is a little bit like saying something is navy, and not blue. (TBF, some of the colours below I'd be more inclined to describe as beige or yellow, and you'd probably find yourself with similar situatuations from buyers if you described something that looked like it was the peach colour shown and called it white, but I looked at the bag and while I can see it may not have been a true white as shown in the chart below, it seems a long way off from a dark ivory, and doesn't have any warm or yellow undertones). 

Shades of white, in the spoiler, according to Wiki

Spoiler
shades of white.PNG

Messages like these are difficult, because the buyer is taking the time to express displeasure but gives no indication at all what - if any  resolution they'd like or are expecting. I wonder if it's because they either have no expectations of a solution, or know full-well they're trying their luck and banking on the seller to go above and beyond on a minor issue because they have no baseline to start with, if that makes sense. I'm often tempted to reply similarly, as in acknowledge the message but not offer any options. eg "Thanks for your message, sorry to hear the item doesn't match your expectations, that can be disappointing. Let me know if I can help with anything else. Kind regards, [Seller]". 

In this case, I'd personally (and actually) respond much like kopes, particularly as you had no returns selected and colour interpretations are very subjective, except I'd only offer a refund of item price.

Seriously, though, for someone whose wardrobe is obviously so sensitive to slightly varying shades,online shopping sounds like the furthest thing from suitable for them. 

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

I've just had a new kitchen put in and the cupboards are antique white. They are close enough to white, without being stark. They are not pink like the wiki example. I've also painted the ceiling antque white, because I had that paint left over from a few years ago. That is closer to cream. So even antique what can come in numerous different shades. 

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

My new kitchen & laundry ( 2 rooms) is also "Antque White" Semi matt vinyl wrap cupboards. I knew the colour I was buying. As in not stark white gloss.  Benchtops both rooms are granite grey Ceaserstone.

As is the fashion ATM; I have grey wood look floor plank tiles to both rooms, & in the laundry some opal blue / green wall tiles. More to the green.. Kitchen has 60x30cm white wall tiles & yes I bought all the tiles here on ebay; Had no problem with the colours! 

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

Strange you say that Copes! That's exactly what I say to my adult daughter at times! She sometimes returns the favour - Though neither of us are named Muriel! - We just love the movie!

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

Listening to "Whiter Shade Of Pale" by Procol Harum right now! Thanks Enigma! Somehow it had disappeared from my fave playlist!

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

I had a look at the ad and in my opinion, the buyer should have been able to see it was an off white/stone type of shade because it was hanging on a white door. When you looked closely, you could see the differences in shade clearly.

And if the exact shade is absolutely critical, as it would seem to be with this buyer, then looking carefully is exactly what she should have done.

For myself-I would not be inclined to give her a refund. I'd be polite in my reply & say I was sorry she was disappointed, but point out photos form part of the description & they showed the bag accurately. Say you had described the bag honestly but that computer monitors differ. Also, you did not describe the bag as ivory as ivory usually has a tinge of yellow & in your opinion the bag is more a grey tinge of off white than an ivory.

If they persist & get specific-they want a return, up to you. But all I would offer would be a refund on return of the bag, not a refund of postage as I would classify it as change of mind.

If she does go to dispute, in my opinion she should not win but that's not to say she couldn't. On ebay anything is possible. But she would have to take it to dispute before she would get a cent out of me.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

Hi Redders, I know I'm hijacking the OPs thread here, but how do the grey wood look tiles look? We are looking at a similar thing, but didn't know if it would be too much "light" with the white(ish) cupboards? I like the more natural wood colour, like a paling fence, but Mr Tippy is leaning more towards the grey wood look.

As for the OPs buyer, I would still tell her to take a flying leap. Keep all messages because if she does open a dispute, which she's just as likely to do, you need the evidence. I still reckon she's bought it for an event, used it and now has no further use for it. She sounds like one of these people that can only ever wear something once, so probably uses eBay to keep her wardrobe stocked with new stuff.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

Hi Tippy; tile question replied via personal messages.

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

You could be right, I had not thought of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer opened an item not as described case either but if she does, I would hope an ebay rep would refuse it, given the photos and description & the fact the buyer is arguing about a subtlety of shade. It's not as if the buyer went to purchase a blue bag and got black or anything.

I think the buyer is angling for a return where she doesn't have to pay postage but what annoys me is some buyers think they are owed something over the most minute matters. If she were to buy a bag or anything from any other online retailer such as catch of the day, let me tell you she probably could indeed return the item. If they okayed it. However, there is an automatic 20% restocking fee deducted. (I know this as I had to return a pair of shoes/too small).

All I am saying is it is not open slather on other buying sites and should not be here, either.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

One for you redders from my home town. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 20 of 24
Latest reply