Buyer wishes to cancel his paid purchase, does the seller still pay fees?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, i just haven't found it. I did find someone mention that the seller will still cop the fees, but he could have been wrong or it could have been out of date.

I'm the seller, and i'm ok to cancel the purchase, people make mistakes. But i don't want to pay all my fees and refund the full purchase.

If i refund - do i still have fees to pay for the sale?

Also, does it reflect poorly on me in any way?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone, eBays email was very well written.

TL;DR - no penalty or black mark. Full refund and fees returned if it is with PayPal. Without wasn't specified (i told them it was PayPal so no need i suppose); perhaps a little more complicated.

Hi Derek,

I commend you for contacting us to help you about cancelling a transaction and how it works. I'll be happy to help you with this.

When you buyer is asking you to cancel a transaction and you agree to do so then there would be no problem about it. Derek, only seller's can initiate cancel a transaction request and you only have up to 30 days to do this after the sale.

1.Click on "My eBay' you may need to sign in.

2.Hover you mouse on the "Account" tab then click "Resolution Centre"

3.Under "I sold and item" please click "The Buyer and I agreed to Cancel a Transaction then click continue.

4.Choose an item that you want to cancel then choose a reason then follow ther steps.

Once you open a cancel transaction request in the resolution centre, we will be sending an email to your buyer to agree with the cancellation. Since the buyer already paid for this item I would advise you to issue them a refund. If the buyer paid through PayPal.

The buyer's PayPal account is automatically refunded. We then either ask PayPal to remove the refund amount from your PayPal account or place the amount on your seller invoice. Once the buyer receive the refund. we consider the cancellation to be complete.

You have 10 business days to refund the buyer's original payment method.Once you issue the refund, we ask the buyer to let us know that they received it. The cancellation must be complete for you to receive a final value fee credit. No need to worry derek as you will be able to recieve a refund for the fees and it does not affect your account in any way.

I trust this information is helpful.We value you as a good customer and we're looking forward for your future transactions.

Wishing you all the best and have a great day!

Kind regards,

Cliff B.
eBay Customer Support

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Sorry kudoed you by mistake. Fat fingers. The buyer has paid and wants to cancel the transaction , I take it ?

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Yep, that's correct. Am i going to be out of pocket due to the eBay/Paypal fees?
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I'm pretty sure if you get the buyer to agree to a cancelation, you will be fine. It must be the buyers choice, not yours. Explain to the buyer that it's fine to cancel but it will their descion. So in brief, get the buyer to ask for a cancelation. Not you 🙂

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

OK thanks. They have asked, but only via message.

How would they request cancelation more formally?

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Why are you going to be out fees? If you first send a cancellation request choosing the option buyer wants to cancel. Then refund the buyer. Once the buyer agrees to the cancellation you will get your fees back.
If you refund the buyer first as you risk a defect.
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Send a cancellation request, choose Buyer Made a Mistake as the reason, and email the buyer explaining that they need to respond to the request to say they agree, that way there are no repercussions for either of you.

If you do  it this way, as soon as the buyer agrees to the cancellation, your fees will be refunded and there will be no defects or other penalties.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks Penny. When i click on cancel and give the reason as buyer the next step, "Continue" then straight away says:

"Just select "Send a refund", and we'll send the refund to the buyer — there's no need to log in to PayPal."

It doesn't say that something will be sent to the buyer. Maybe it will after i issue the refund. Which is pretty poor form design. Confusing for someone who has never done it.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Derek, Maybe give ebay a call tomorrow and explain the situation in full to a Supervisor.  I'm pretty sure, if you give a refund it will count as a defect.  It's better to be safe than get a defect against you, for something that could have been avoided.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Yeah, that's probably best. Interestingly their contact pages are actually excellently constructed. I didn't expect that.

Broadly speaking, i find eBay to be a confusing beast.

When i find out, i'll post an update with their answer.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply