Buyer wrongly accusing of sending the damaged item.

Hi ,I have worked with the buyer on my listing ; answering any questions that they have had in time and providing timely postage and tracking number for the item. the buyer has requested a return on this item which i think is not justified.

I have clearly listed about the presence of minor scratches for the item in my listing. I also responded to the buyer stating the same and now they have come back saying that there is a major scratch which was not present at the time of the listing and has not been captured in the photos for the listing as it was not there.

I have a great record on ebay both as a buyer and a seller and I have sold sunglasses on ebay before. I have never falsified the information in my listings.I would request your assistance in this matter; as this is not fair to me as a seller that I should be obliged to provide refund for a listing that I have provided correct information for. 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Even tho you say the scratch was not present when you sent it I'm pretty sure ebay will find any case the buyer may open in their favour.

They are heavily biassed towards the buyer in such cases.

So be prepared to either fully refund and the buyer keeps the item or pay for their return postage if you want it back.

Little else you will be able to do I'd say.

You could ask the buyer to send a photo that clearly shows the scratch but I think that would do little more than to satisfy you (and ebay) that the scratch does exist.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I am not sure if you know, so I'll just mention that by posting here, you are not contacting or speaking to anyone from ebay. They do no read these boards, we are simply members just like you are

Have you asked this person to send you a photo of this major scratch they are saying is present?

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Even tho you say the scratch was not present when you sent it I'm pretty sure ebay will find any case the buyer may open in their favour.

They are heavily biassed towards the buyer in such cases.

So be prepared to either fully refund and the buyer keeps the item or pay for their return postage if you want it back.

Little else you will be able to do I'd say.

You could ask the buyer to send a photo that clearly shows the scratch but I think that would do little more than to satisfy you (and ebay) that the scratch does exist.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

If/when they return the sunglasses.....how will you know they are the same pair you sent....ie....did they have a code?

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

very very good point

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

You would have had a better case had you shown photos that included the small scratches, the size is subjective and what seems small to you may seem large to your buyer.

I do not think it is worth it trying to wriggle out of this one. If you think you can resell them for enough to cover the refund and return postage then pay to get them back. If that is unlikely I would offer the buyer a large partial refund and keep them and if they refuse just refund in full anyway.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply