CC chargeback

can someone please tell me the best way to handle a CC chargeback with paypal these days please?

The buyer is saying it was an unathorised transaction.

I have proof of shipment, the item was definitely delivered to the address in the transaction.

Having lost both the cash and the item with one of these chargebacks years ago i dont like my chances.

I've been reading a lot of these chargebacks are initiated by the banks when accounts are overdrawn?

I dont understand how they can demand paypal return the money when its clear the item was delivered to the card holders residence?

What about my bloody item?

They just expect me to lose the lot?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

CC chargeback

I am in a similar boat and awaiting outcome. Not sure how this works so perhaps someone else can share a completed experience.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

CC chargeback

If you have proof of shipment you should have seller protection and Paypal should cover any refund, not you.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

CC chargeback

It never hurts to contact the buyer, they may not necessarily be out to swindle you...they just might not recognise a transaction on their credit card statement.
I have found that if you upload proof of postage / delivery and a explanatory note, it generally helps.
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

CC chargeback

If you have proof of shipment you should be OK, I think paypal want some sort of proof that shows a delivery postcode and that the item was lodged.

I have won a case before with no proof whatsoever, but I was still charged the $15 chargeback fee. I think this fee is instant as soon as a chargeback is intiated, I always thought it was for if you want paypal to fight it but I don't think so anymore. I have less than 1 per year out of a lot of transactions.

As far as the banks are concerned are they calling all forms of chargeback an  "unathorised transaction"? I always assumed this was if someone (the buyer) used a card without authorisation, in which case they are guilty of fraud and should be reported to the police and ebay. Maybe banks class it as unauthorised if one of their customers uses a card to access money they don;t have or something.

If they have purchased from other sellers I usually contact them as well.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

CC chargeback

@foundationstation wrote:
It never hurts to contact the buyer, they may not necessarily be out to swindle you...they just might not recognise a transaction on their credit card statement.
I have found that if you upload proof of postage / delivery and a explanatory note, it generally helps.

Thats a very good point, I have had one buyer repay me before when it happened, it was so long ago I can;t remember the details of it though.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

CC chargeback

thanks guys.

I used an ebay postage label and have a lodgement receipt.

The tracking shows as delivered on the 21st march.

I messaged the buyer and asked what the situation is but they havent replied as yet.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

CC chargeback

Does the tracking show delivered to the buyer postcode or to a distribution point with a different postcode?

I only ask because those ebay labels do not prove that you have lodged an item to the address (even with a lodgement reciept). If the tracking shows that it has gone to the poscode though you will be right.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

CC chargeback

the tracking states the recipients suburb and state

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

CC chargeback

@dylan11235813 wrote:

Does the tracking show delivered to the buyer postcode or to a distribution point with a different postcode?

I only ask because those ebay labels do not prove that you have lodged an item to the address (even with a lodgement reciept). If the tracking shows that it has gone to the poscode though you will be right.

Umm, yes they do.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply