COULD A CREDIT CARD USED AT GUEST CHECKOUT BE STOLEN IN THIS EBAY THING

Hi, my partners credit card which i use at guest checkout was hacked into 2 weeks ago, air tickets brought to Budusfest etc,we have not got our statement yet to check but the only place we can think of is ebay as this is where i have used it most, well more or less the only place except for a petrol station or 2 . Does anyone know what is stopping the hackers getting a guest checkouts credit card details since there is no logging into paypal, it is all done on ebay, also has anyone else had there guest credit card stolen, thanks

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: COULD A CREDIT CARD USED AT GUEST CHECKOUT BE STOLEN IN THIS EBAY THING

I hope you are not waiting for your statement before contacting your bank to dispute the charges. It is highly unlikely that the card was compromised by being used on ebay or Paypal. ou would either be using it through the Paypal portal as a guest or as a card payment direct with the seller anyway, ebay has nothing to do with payments other than paying a seller's fees.

You may have fallen victim to a phishing email that looks as if it comes from Paypal or the bank issuing the card.

You should open a Paypal account with the same email address, or rather the card holder should, and then any transactions you made through a genuine Paypal page should then appear on the account, if it doesn't you will know it was not a genuine Paypal transaction.

The most likely place for your card to be compromised is when it is being used at a cash point or in the type of eating establishment where they take your card out of your sight.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Re: COULD A CREDIT CARD USED AT GUEST CHECKOUT BE STOLEN IN THIS EBAY THING

hi, thanks for the reply, makes me feel a little better, the bank rang us and asked if we where going to Budapest, we are lucky to go to the next suburb so I dont think so, they cancelled card straight away.We had it stolen online a year ago from a US car parts web site, they got new teeth and a new motor bike in America worth 10,000. I was just a little worried as the only place i have used this card is on the ebay guset payment part so hopefully it is now partners fault and not mine, anyway thanks again for your advise, have a great day

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply