Can I bypass winning bidder and make second chance offer to underbidder?

chezzy
Community Member

Hi guys

Have just 'sold' an item to someone with a foreign address (despite it saying in item listing NO OVERSEAS SHIPPING).

I have not heard from the winner as to whether they have an Australian address. Winner has low/sporadic feedback/buying history so it does not give me a lot of confidence so wondering how I should handle this?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Finalise the first transaction first by opening an unpaid item case as soon as you can.

Then close it 4 days later to get the fee back. 

Let the underbidder know what you are doing and send them a SCO as soon as other is closed.

image host
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Because it has a foreign address (actually the buyer's location is a different country to the shipping address and neither are Australia!) can I do this straight away? I normally give buyers 5 days to pay. But in this case....if it is dodgy...I'd like to move things along fairly quickly

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

You can open the case 4 days after sale date.

But contact the buyer and ask the question if they have an address here, if you haven't already.

image host
Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

I had a item won by someone from New Zealand with (0) feedback and thought I would have to cancel it, but he emailed me and said his sister would pickup and pay for it which she did, ended up being a smooth and quick transaction.

All that worry for nothing.

Hope yours goes OK.

Goodluck.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Try messaging the winner and ask them do they have an Australian address. If they reply no, see if you can cancel the transaction with them as you did advertise no international shipping.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Yes, have sent them a message re Australian shipping address (and reminded them of wording in item description)

I am kind of baffled that someone with a middle eastern address can bid on an item that says postage to Australia only and NO OVERSEAS SHIPPING in the description. Obviously somehow it has got through, normally I set up blocks for countries I don't ship to.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

A lot of Chinese buyers set their primary address as a forwarding address in Australia so that they can bid.  If they then change their primary address back again (after they bid but before the auction ends), it sort of confuses the situation.  If they want something, they ignore anything you put in the description about not posting overseas.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Winner messaged me overnight to say they do have an aus shipping address and they will forward to me

For now I have messaged them back:

"Please be sure the AUSTRALIAN shipping address shows clearly on the ebay checkout and paypal payment informations because that is where I will take the shipping information from."

All I can do is wait and see if payment comes through this week.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

At least they are communicating, there is nothing worse when people don't communicate. And in my experience most people who are non-paying buyers never seem to communicate, Good Luck!

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply