Can a buyer threaten legal action? I have refunded them...

rpauluk
Community Member

I sold an item to an ebayer, but there was a mistake in the listing. It had defaulted to my shipping policy that allowed postage - but as the item was large and bulky it would be impossible.

Unfortunately the buyer had already sent payment by this point, including a $10 postage fee.

I then contacted them explaining that it would be collection only, but got no response.

So, I tried to cancel the sale - but the buyer refused.

I then refunded their PayPal payment, in full - but received a threatening email along the following lines:

"I will contact my solicitor if you do not supply my item. I received a PayPal notification of your refund, but as i bought and paid you in good faith including postage you have now caused me to take legal action to recover MY rightful property and settlement for all legal fees and stress compensation for myself.
If you think i am joking, i am not as my solicitor has previously very successfully acted on my behalf."

Can they do this?

I've never before heard of a buyer threatening to take legal action against a seller who fully refunded them?!

Advice appreciated!

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

They can threaten all they want but no solicitor in their right mind would act for them.

Is it the airconditioner?

You could try explaining to them that the postage was wrong and if they still want it they will have to pay for courier delivery. They may well change their minds when they see how much it will cost.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

He is posturing... trying to frighten you

Dont buckle on this.. he has nothing

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
Your buyer is a tool and he doesn't have a leg to stand on in this case. Even though you accidentally listed with Standard Postage (Australia Post Parcel Post Parcel) at $8.95, there's no way AP would even accept it for posting as the item weighs well in excess of 20kg and could only be sent via courier, which is not stated in your listing.

He's clearly bluffing, and as you have already refunded his payment in full, the worst you can expect now is a red dot in your feedback. I would also totally ignore any further emails unless they are threatening or abusive, in which case I would immediately forward them to ebay.
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Lol! But probably cheaper than his solicitors fees!

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

gkam2
Community Member

Tell 'im he's dreamin'.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Pffft !  Never heard of any solicitor that would want to waste their time getting involved in a dispute like this

Don't let him scare you - you've done the refund and sent him a cancellation request to accept.  He doesn't have to accept it - if he doesn't you will still eventually get your final value fee back from paypal.

I think the worst that might happen is he will give you a negative feedback.  

Good Luck

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

. unless their solicitor is a Relo ?

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Or an idiot...
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

" He doesn't have to accept it - if he doesn't you will still eventually get your final value fee back from paypal."

PayPal does not have anything to do with FVFs - they would not credit you this. PayPal automatically credits you transaction fees 2.4% + 30 cents but not the FVFs. If he does not accept the mutual cancellation request (declines within the 7 days) you could try to get a FVF back by contacting eBay and pray they will allow you. As you mentioned the buyer has already declined, your only option would be to contact eBay and try to get them to manually credit your FVFs back. 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply