Can a buyer threaten legal action? I have refunded them...

rpauluk
Community Member

I sold an item to an ebayer, but there was a mistake in the listing. It had defaulted to my shipping policy that allowed postage - but as the item was large and bulky it would be impossible.

Unfortunately the buyer had already sent payment by this point, including a $10 postage fee.

I then contacted them explaining that it would be collection only, but got no response.

So, I tried to cancel the sale - but the buyer refused.

I then refunded their PayPal payment, in full - but received a threatening email along the following lines:

"I will contact my solicitor if you do not supply my item. I received a PayPal notification of your refund, but as i bought and paid you in good faith including postage you have now caused me to take legal action to recover MY rightful property and settlement for all legal fees and stress compensation for myself.
If you think i am joking, i am not as my solicitor has previously very successfully acted on my behalf."

Can they do this?

I've never before heard of a buyer threatening to take legal action against a seller who fully refunded them?!

Advice appreciated!

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Ha! My solicitor nephew's firm, of which he isone of two partners, charged his mother $1200 to update her will.

I know how I would be updating it!

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Can sue who ever you like, even scott morrison..as long as you are human there is no exception to whom you sue..ebay is one you should

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply