Can't invoice buyer, buyer can't pay...

Buyer's purchased four of my items, and wants a postage-combined invoice. Not unusual, so I boogie into "My Ebay" to get it sorted - and can't. "Resend invoice" is there, but I can't select multiple items and combine them. If I select "Send revised invoice", I get an error message.

So, I suggested that the buyer just pay the four lots of postage. Just got a message - eBay isn't letting her pay.

In "My eBay", all four items are showing as "Checkout complete", and I received four "I will be sending payment soon" e-mails.

What now? Do I cancel all four items, and get the buyer to re-purchase?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@whiznumber6 wrote:

I cancelled the items, relisted (and got charged fees, so I've effectively just lost any profit), and it's exactly the same as before - I can't invoice, buyer can't pay. Idiocy...

Same buyer bought two similar items last week, and paid without a problem.

Given you had to relist anyway, for future reference relist them all as one item, with the correct postage. That way the buyer can buy and pay straight away. Saves hassles.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Sounds like buyer has selected DD or sending cheque in checkout.

Now can't pay until checkout is reset.

I would try to send another invoice individually so hopefully that resets all four items.

Then buyer can pay as you suggested and you refund any postage.

image host
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Do you offer bank deposit? I've had this before when the buyer has checked out for items, selected bank deposit then wanted to pay by PayPal.

In the past, sending a new invoice would reset checkout in such cases and the buyer could go through again to change the payment method, but eBay changed it a few months ago so now the only option is to cancel and have the buyer re-purchase.

Make sure to advise them not to complete checkout between purchases, or they can use the cart and request an invoice from there if the option appears.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Doesn't work - if I try to resend the invoice or send a revised invoice, I get an error message.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

I cancelled the items, relisted (and got charged fees, so I've effectively just lost any profit), and it's exactly the same as before - I can't invoice, buyer can't pay. Idiocy...

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Ring eBay, (don't email) and advise what has happened and ask if they will refund any fees on the cancelled items and explain that the buyer has repurchased but you still cannot Invoice them. 

The only other way way I can think of is to Invoice them directly from PayPal andinclude all the item numbers.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Do you offer bank deposit? I've had this before when the buyer has checked out for items, selected bank deposit then wanted to pay by PayPal.

In the past, sending a new invoice would reset checkout in such cases and the buyer could go through again to change the payment method, but eBay changed it a few months ago so now the only option is to cancel and have the buyer re-purchase.

Make sure to advise them not to complete checkout between purchases, or they can use the cart and request an invoice from there if the option appears.

Yes, same here.

As usual, if something works just fine, change it so it doesn't!

Very annoying!

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

it doesnt happen often but some times i get a buyer who buys more than 1 item then wants to reduce postage.

i too have found trying to do a combined invoice with postage changed impossible so i dont even try anymore, i just tell the buyer to pay and i will refund anything from what i'm charged (which is clearly shown on the post office label) and what they have paid after i post the items.

has worked so far.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

@whiznumber6 wrote:

Given you had to relist anyway, for future reference relist them all as one item, with the correct postage. That way the buyer can buy and pay straight away. Saves hassles.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

It is really annoying that ebay has made this so hard. You would think they would want people to buy multiple items and make it easy.

I have had customers also unable to allow me to combine postage. I had some free listings so I gathered up those items making a brand new listing for them with the combined postage, so that was easy for the buyer to get it all with the combined postage.

If you have no free listings and you are able to revise them, you could just revise the postage on the items so that it ends up with the combined price. Or just refund as others have said.

Oh for the days when it all used to be so easy.

good luck

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply