Can we define 'free' returns yet?

With the changes to return policy I am considering taking the tradeoff of more visibility and offering free returns. But I don't want to screw myself over, obviously... 

Does 'free' returns refer only to seller-paid return postage? Will charging a restocking fee be considered not a free return?

With free returns for change of mind, am I also forced to refund original postage or will I at least only be paying the return and not refunding the original?

I saw the option to return for merchandise credit, does anyone actually do this? I''ve not yet done a return with this enabled, will it just give me the option to issue credit rather than refund in the dispute manager? If so, that would make this thing a lot easier to swallow, I pay almost nothing for my stock, so essentially giving away an item or two, and thus recouping the original postage cost, would be quite alright for me... 

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Can we define 'free' returns yet?

There's no mention of restocking fees in the announcement, so unfortunately it's hard to say. I think some changes to the return process may be implemented (this is from the US update, so we may wait a little longer for it, if they introduce the same options here), but they only really address what happens when you provide a free return and the item doesn't come back in the same condition: "Starting this fall, sellers who offer free returns can decide if they want to offer less than a full refund in cases where an item is returned that is not in the same condition that it was in when you shipped it (e.g., a damaged item or an open-box return)."

I take that to mean you can offer free returns, have no restocking fee enabled, but still deduct money from a COM return if the item comes back damaged, while still qualifying to be found under the free returns filter they'll add. That would mean, without a restocking fee, you'd still be out postage costs, though.

I'm guessing they expect sellers will add a little on to all item prices to cover paying for the returns that happen - the illusion of free, AKA the benefit of getting other people to contribute the cost for 1 person to have the illusion of free. Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply