Can you do me a good deal direct?

Afternoon all,

Does a question like this seriously irritate you? Don’t people understand just how much monitoring goes on? They place us in jeopardy too.

I mean, I’m really easy to get along with and I enjoy chatting with customers through their mail, but just lately, the last 2 months or so, this one question is really irritating me. It didn’t happen much once, but just recently - Grrrrrrr!! Some even leave a phone  number with just two words, “Call me”. Not on your life Buster!! Nor will I respond to your rude mail. These always come from people we’ve never dealt with before, so there’s absolutely no history. Do some sellers actually respond?

I’m really interested if any of you cop a bit of this too, and why seemingly so much lately, well at least here.

I’ve just whacked another Q and A in FAQ’s, not that anyone reads them, but I at least feel better.

Hope you’ve all had a wonderful day. My 45th wedding anniversary today and I’ve been seriously spoilt by him all day. Sigh!! It’s lovely. 365 days would be nice .... lol. 🙂

Melina.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Happy anniverary! May the next 45 be just as rewarding!!!

I haven't had so much with rude customers (I'm with you.. no way would I call them after a message like that).

What I seem to get are the smarty pants type of customer. Same sort of question though... would i sell that book for free and at a lower postage price. Really? Truely? I'm not that stupid.

All I do is answer very politely. If I hear from them again with something just as silly or worse, I don't bother answering. They get put on my party list for needy people!

Solves all problems.

Congratulations again on your special day.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Congrats, now that you have the sapphires, all you need is the t-shirt.

816glrsLBGL._UL1500_.jpg

image host
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Always turn things around to your terms.

I would ask which items they are interested in then add the totals being BIN prices and say you can do 20-30% off but would need to do a special listing in eBay.

So in effect you may sell a few items that you would get auction price for if only one bid.

image host
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I don't respond to out and out rude messages, but if I get a question that could get me into trouble (because of eBay being eBay), I like to respond so that I can show eBay how I responded if I need to defend myself.

Most of the time, I just say something like, Unfortunately, eBay's policies prohibit me from X (eg providing you with the requested information, or discussing this subject etc [which is how I would refer to someone asking me if I can sell direct, or have a store elsewhere, making sure my own message doesn't contain any triggering words). 

I got a message elsewhere the other week, and all it was, was a single word, followed by a question mark. I find this extraordinarily rude, and it really puts me off side (note to anyone that it may apply to, please at least just type a 'Hi' and, if feeling extra generous, a "thanks" when you're asking for a seller to do something for you). 

I stewed over how to respond for half a day, then sent back a 'thanks for your enquiry, unfortunately your message doesn't contain enough information in order for me to determine the most appropriate or applicable answer". Then proceeded to put in several paragraphs of information, and ended it by saying - I hope you don't mind that this is just a copy & paste of the info provided in my FAQs, which appears on every single page. (Sometimes I really can't help the subtle sarcasm / passive aggression 😞 Smiley Embarassed )

PS - Happy anniversary 🙂 , which I feel may come across in a way I don't intend it after the end of the previous paragraph, but it's a genuine sentiment Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

womens-wedding-anniversary-gift-just-married-45-years-ago-t-shirt-xl-black.jpgCongratulations!

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Happy wedding anniversary.

This is a wonderful month for celebrating wedding anniversaries. My parents had their 60th wedding anniversary last year (in this month), and I was able to give them a day on a ship (which my mother had been longing to have and didn't think could happen), courtesy of a past client of mine who still likes to keep in touch.

In the course of my work, I get bizarre requests. They're not single word requests, but they're on the same "weirdness" level as the spontaneous combustion of Polonus Vorstius' "spontaneous combustion" in 1470 after vigorously imbibing strong wine and heaving up flames from his distressed innards.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I have on all my listings:

'If purchasing multiple items, please wait for a combined invoice.'

Buyer purchased 2 items - then sent me this:

'You said to wait for an invoice.....I have waited & waited....where is it?'

.......no, hello, thankyou, anything.....and this was half an hour after winning last auction.....I was gobsmacked....lol
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Happy Anniversary, you should get a medal.

As for your question, I had one like this, a long time ago, if I remember correctly, it was from a Seller, offering me a discount on future purchases if I went to their website to buy.   I did message them and said that eBay would not approve of their suggestion, and I would rather deal through eBay.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I think the thing that most annoys me when selling is the people who refuse to put a sentence together so you can barely make out what they are responding to.

I recently listed several different items on a sales site and got a phone message that just said-call me.

About what? I didn't return the call.

Or they make ridiculous offers. No "Would you be willing to accept", just a typed dollar amount, like you should jump at it.

As for doing a good deal, I recently saw a woman (again on a different sales site) ask if anyone had a particular item as she wanted one. A man came on and said he had a new one at $20, whereupon trolls descended on him in droves-how dare he ask that price, how could he justify it etc. They weren't even interested in buying or selling, just saying their piece. Of course the woman responded it was too dear.

I'd been watching ebay and knew $20 was probably the cheapest cost in Victoria, they were going for about $70-$130 here on ebay. The trolls didn't do that woman any favours.

PS Happy anniversary!!

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply