Cancelled sale but still waiting for buyer to respond

Hi all, just a quick question. I had to cancel a sale the other day. The buyer had not paid and has not responded to my message.  eBay note: We're just waiting for the buyer to confirm they received a refund for this order"before issuing a refund on my fees. Now Im no genius but there are no paid item icons highlighted on those sales and it appears the buyer could care less about the items so Im wondring what my next move shouyld be? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Cancelled sale but still waiting for buyer to respond

Hi if the buyer doesn't respond after 10 days then the case will be closed and you will receive your fees back.

But how did the cancellation come about,did you cancel it or was it a mutual agreement?

If you cancelled it just because the buyer hasn't responded you should have waited until you could have opened an unpaid case.

If the buyer hasn't agreed to this then you can still receive a negative feedback from them. 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I'm wondering why you have tried to cancel the sale. My take on it was the biddder left you high and dry and was just ignoring the whole thing.

Obviously they are just ignoring the request to cancel the sale, too.

You probably should have just waited 4 days and then opened an unpaid item dispute. The bidder could ignore it but you would be in control and after 4 days close it and get your fees back, plus the bidder would get a strike. Remember it for next time, I guess.

Since you got a bit of a catch 22 message from ebay- about refunding when the bidder didn't even pay, I think I would be inclined, if I were you, to ring ebay rather than message, talk to a real person and they will sort it out.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies. I had shelf over my ebay sorting area, had a little too much weight on it and one of the legs collapsed, damaging a few items ready for packing - hence my reason for cancelling the sale.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

The whole cancellation process is clumsy. Asking a buyer if they have received a refund when they haven't made payment is just ridiculous and confusing. The buyers don't know how to answer it, which is why they just ignore it. Then the poor seller has their items held in limbo for 10 days.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

correct  but it could also be what new sellers click on when asked a question for the cancellation.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I usually send buyers a message explaining that the system doesn't always recognise the payment status, and when the cancellation request comes through, eBay may ask them to confirm they either have not paid, or that they have received a refund, but once confirmed the transaction will be officially cancelled. I've also noticed that if a cancellation request is initiated on an unpaid item after 8 days from sale, it usually does recognise the item as unpaid and doesn't ask the buyer to confirm a refund. 

A couple of buyers have responded and let me know what eBay actually asks them, and it seems like even though the seller gets automated messages saying the buyer is being asked to confirm they received a refund, the buyer is actually asked to confirm they never paid. (I can't say for sure, though, as not all buyers advise what eBay asked them to confirm). 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

also maybe te buyer was not happy if it was an auction , and you have come up with an exuse of the dog ate my parcel because you did not get what you wanted for it,[also i am not saying you did that ,but i am sure most of us have seen that trick before.  1 time a while ago i won an auction of about 8 x 15 litre tubs of paint ,it went cheap in my eyes ,next day i get a message saying all 8 tubs of paint have spilt and all are empty, and they said it must of being a possum... i responded very fast and said you and your family better get out quick as if a possum can knock down 8 tubs weighing over 20kg each , i would hate to see the size of the possum. and also could you say hello to the next door horse called mr ed and by the way what color are your roses.mmmm

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Joe said.

i responded very fast and said you and your family better get out quick as if a possum can knock down 8 tubs weighing over 20kg each , i would hate to see the size of the possum

-----------------------------

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

That's given me a good laugh to start the day, anyway.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply