Cancelling a transaction for buyer?

Probably a totally stupid and obvious question (and admit I'm being lazy and not searching, but ebay changes things so often I want to be sure I'm doing this properly) but like the title states, what happens when cancelling a transaction for a buyer?

I've only recently been selling again after not doing so for years, so obviously everything has totally changed now (and wow, haven't they made a mess of it? I miss doing 99c auctions that always sold well) so want to be sure they haven't snuck any odd clauses in there.

She's been upfront and messaged me to explain, and I'm happy to cancel the transaction - I just wasn't sure what the best way was? She hasn't paid so no refund needs to be issued, and as the sale was for $210 then the fees were a fair bit so I want to ensure that's credited back by ebay, but also want to make sure that by just using the "Cancel Order" option that neither of us would receive a defect?

So doing Cancel Order would still be best option or have they been playing silly buggers  changing things with that?

TIA 🙂

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Cancelling a transaction for buyer?

You just have to make sure you choose buyer requests cancellation. If you don't you will end up with a defect. The buyer will then have to answer the question their end which asks if they received a refund or tick they did not pay. You will automatically receive the fees associated with the sale back after buyer confirms the cancellation

If you can clue the buyer up first as to what they have to do their end I find it better.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

If I remember correctly, you go to Cancel Order and when asked for the reason, you click "Buyer has changed mind, or there's a problem with the buyers address".

Once you click that, the buyer will get a message asking to confirm. I think it then closes the transaction automatically.

You should then get your FVF back.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Make sure you let your buyer know to accept the cancellation as soon as possible. Otherwise you will have to wait 10 days before you can close it yourself to get your fees back. If you imply to the buyer that there could be an adverse issue on their account if they don't accept it, they are usually more willing to do it. So many buyers request a cancellation then can't be bothered hitting the accept button because they've got what they wanted.

A lot of sellers here now don't bother with the cancellation now for that reason. If the buyer hasn't paid, they opt for the unpaid item dispute. If you prefer to use that option, tell the buyer to ignore all automated requests to pay and the case will close in 4 days and all will be good.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Awesome, thank you all 🙂

I wasn't sure obviously about when selecting that the buyer has chosen to cancel if it would cause issues on their end. 

I'm still just so bewildered by all the changes - wow, I can't believe how much it has changed in such a short time! I was planning on getting rid of all my vintage stuff and outgrown kids clothing like I used to (all started at 99c and honestly can't think of one single item that didn't sell for the absolute minimum I had haoped it would, all sold way above) but would rather pay the listing/insertion fees from back then compared to free listings and the huge FVF with post included now.

So have just been listing the top stuff I have new, it's just not worth it otherwise!

Thanks again, so glad I always remembered that these boards were here - buggered if I know how new buyers/sellers find them! They've certainly hidden them well...

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply