Cancelling order and partially refunding

I've had a buyer purchase an item then the next day after posting ask via messaging to return it. This is fine by me, but I want to charge a restocking fee as specified in the listing.

When I go to cancel the order, the only option is refund them in full. They paid by Paypal, and if I send them a refund by Paypal I'll get dinged.. plus I won't get my fees back.

I could send them a refund as a separate transaction, but I still won't get my fees back.

Is there any solution to this where I can partially refund them and still get my fees returned?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

If you do a partial refund through Paypal, you will get that portion credited. You won't get eBay fees credited, but surely that is part of why you charge a restocking fee? And can be absorbed within it.

I have no idea how much stock you have or how much you think your time is worth as this is obviously a buying ID, but that is part of the rationale for a restocking fee - to cover miscellaneous expenses like eBay fees.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

I have a restocking fee of 20% which for high value items can be quite a bit. So in those cases I'm happy to refund minus only my incurred costs to the buyer if they are polite and reasonable about things.

Unfortunately it seems that eBay gives me no option through their system for a partial refund so I'm going to have to hit the buyer for the fees too. You mention doing a partial refund through Paypal, but I have a vague recollection of getting a defect or something last time I did that.

The other way is to tell the buyer to open a return request, I'm trying to avoid that but maybe it's the only avenue here. Especially in case they select a different option for the reason rather than change of mind.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

if they open a return request for anything other than change of mind and you don't refund in full you WILL get a defect. Of which you are allowed very few under the new system.

I do quite a few partial refunds through Paypal, for overpaid postage on multiple items, and have never had a defect.

I suppose it depends on whether your 20% can cover the <10% in eBay fees. Or your greed.

I look forward to you coming back complaining about the 'unwarranted' neg you got because you tried to screw the buyer out of every cent you could.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

yes it certainly reads like that Dave

I think most sellers would just refund minus the ebay & paypal fees, other than that what is your restocking fee for?

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

restocking fee is sometimes used to recoup a free post shipping cost on a sale that is cancelled.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

But in this case OP wants their eBay fees on top of the restocking fee.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

If they paid using a voucher there's usually no way to do a partial refund through ebay. I wouldn't recommend refunding them separately because they could still do a claim and get all their money back, on top of what you've already refunded.  So I'm not sure what the answer is but maybe you'll have to contact ebay.  Not that I'd hold my breath waiting for help from them!  I think the vouchers cause a lot of problems in this respect.

Your restocking terms are nobody else's business and if the buyers read them before they buy, then they either accept them or they shouldn't buy. 

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

I doubt vouchers are the issue. You're drawing a long bow.

At least I offered some relevant info.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:
I look forward to you coming back complaining about the 'unwarranted' neg you got because you tried to screw the buyer out of every cent you could.
But in this case OP wants their eBay fees on top of the restocking fee.

What is the issue with wanting to be reimbursed for my costs involved if the buyer changes their mind? I should not have to eat this expense.

Ebay allows me to set a restocking fee up to 20%, which I don't want to charge in this case. I am only asking my expenses be covered, so I'm not sure where you are getting the screw them attitude from.

The buyer agreed to a potential 20% restocking fee when they purchased the item, I feel that is excessive in this case. On low cost items it does not even cover postage but I suck that up.

For returns that are my fault I always refund 100%.

I would love to be able to say No Returns, but I am happy to accommodate buyers where I can. There just seems to be no middle ground option.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply