Change to fixed price listings ONLY with immediate payment required?

chezzy
Community Member

A recent item of mine was bid on and won by a zero-feedback buyer. I left the bid because "everyone has to start somewhere blah blah" and the person had said they would pay the next day if they won. Apparently then they couldn't pay by paypal because they had a minus balance in paypal...and asked for my bank account details. Which I sent them AGAIN (had also included my bank account details in the invoice I had sent them).

The auction ended Tuesday night so come tonight it will be 5 days since listing ended. In the item description I have it saying
"Payment - paypal or bank deposit - to be received within 5 days of listing end". What is disappointing/surprising is that the buyer has not sent any updates as to their intentions or to inform me that payment has been made. Though I guess technically they have until around 8.30pm tonight.

Most buyers pay very quickly - same day or next. So it strikes me as odd that a new ebayer/account is not really 'trying harder' to make a good impression (either with quick payment or good communication) in an attempt to build up positive feedback.

At this point I don't know how this transaction will end. But I am seriously thinking about changing any new listings to fixed price only - with immediate (paypal) payment required. Curious to hear what other sellers do to reduce potential problems. Do you give a strict time frame for paying, require immediate payment or what? Thankyou.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Change to fixed price listings ONLY with immediate payment required?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@thecatspjs wrote:
Hopefully this experience serves to broaden your understanding of the experience of other sellers in other markets than your own.  There are some sellers that have to close multiple unpaid items weekly and even daily - but as the market yields the best results via auctions, buy-it-nows are not a really a viable option. 

Perhaps this depends on what market you are playing in.

In my experience (and my market) BIN works better for me. I remember when i moved from Auctions to a Store/BIN i was very concerned about how it would affect my sales as i was so used to Auctions.

Well my worries were smashed within the first month as the sales rolled in. Buy it Now works great for me as im sure it does for many others. 

To say BINs arent viable is a very broad statement to make, and not true for everyone

Message 31 of 32
Latest reply

Re: Change to fixed price listings ONLY with immediate payment required?

@Anonymous wrote:

@thecatspjs wrote:
Hopefully this experience serves to broaden your understanding of the experience of other sellers in other markets than your own.  There are some sellers that have to close multiple unpaid items weekly and even daily - but as the market yields the best results via auctions, buy-it-nows are not a really a viable option. 

Perhaps this depends on what market you are playing in.

In my experience (and my market) BIN works better for me. I remember when i moved from Auctions to a Store/BIN i was very concerned about how it would affect my sales as i was so used to Auctions.

Well my worries were smashed within the first month as the sales rolled in. Buy it Now works great for me as im sure it does for many others. 

To say BINs arent viable is a very broad statement to make, and not true for everyone

Never said that BINs are not viable for SOME.

My post relates to OTHER markets than your own.

As I posted, my comments relate to SOME sellers.

Message 32 of 32
Latest reply