Changes to paypal user agreement

I got an email this morning saying that they won't be returning fees on refunded amounts.  My friend got it to so I assume it's genuine, but it's not in the section on upcoming policy updates.  What is in that section is that currency conversion fees went up to 4% on 4th September.

I don't understand it because this is the same change they announced months ago and then backtracked on.  This is what the email said (or part of it):

Earlier this year, we notified you that we were updating our User Agreement to change our refund policy. We want to let you know that the policy change is going into effect beginning on 11 October 2019.

In line with industry practice, and according to our updated policy, we will not charge a fee to process refunds, but the fees from the original transaction will not be returned. This policy will not apply to duplicate transactions, voids and most disputed transactions. 

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I got it too
Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

We got the same email as well.

I remember the original announcement, I remember people saying on the forum that it was backtracked, but I never saw anything from Paypal saying it was cancelled.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

I also got the email. I was also under the impression they had backtracked on the fee thing.

I believe the email is genuine as it calls me by my 1st and last name, not Dear PayPal member, that I've had when I've received phishing emails. I still never click on any links though, even if I am sure it's 100% genuine.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

I won't click on any links in paypal emails either, regardless of how genuine I think they might be. I signed in to my pp account and then tried to find what I wanted.

In the user agreement I found where it said the fees wouldn't be returned but when I went to the user agreement I didn't click on the relevant country so I don't know whether I was looking at the terms for Australia or some other country.

I guess we'll find out soon enough whether they are going to stop refunding the original fees paid. Thankfully I have very few instances of needing to refund the full amount.
Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

In line with industry practice, and according to our updated policy, we will not charge a fee to process refunds, but the fees from the original transaction will not be returned. This policy will not apply to duplicate transactions, voids and most disputed transactions. 

Probably setting it all up so that members are used to it before they bring in other payment options where they

will rip you of more but because it's all part of being "allowed" it's just accepted (similar to how they brought in

the fees on postage because they offered a "postage service" which in reality was false but was easily

accepted because of the reference to the "service").

In reality the fees on postage are still completely wrong as they do not form part of the sale price and the

"service" can be supplied via other options).

Because they keep getting away with it they'll keep bringing in other options where they can penalize/scam

sellers out of money (somewhere along the lines they may even get buyers to fork over some cash if they can

get away with it).stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

It's Paypal, not eBay tazz.

Paypal have always charged fees on the entire transaction, and don't provide any sort of postage service.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Probably an attempt to retain at least some profit levels for when eBay drops them for their new butt-buddy Adyen.
Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

A maybe I read it wrong but I thought  disputes were exempt from having fees returned to the seller

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

@heihachi_73 wrote:
Probably an attempt to retain at least some profit levels for when eBay drops them for their new butt-buddy Adyen.

Paypal was a profitable and successful company long before ebay bought it.

There is no reason why it cannot successfully stand on it's own again when/if ebay dumps it completely.

I know  use it for paying utility bills....it avoids the credit card surcharge applicable to card payments.

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply