Charging a fee to cover order cancellations re Paypal changes

I had my first order cancellation request today (5 minutes after the order was placed). I am happy to cancel but are now out the paypal fee for the transaction. So I sent a paypal money request to the buyer for the fee. Anyone else trying to recover fees for these situations ? Is there another option ?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Have a look at this thread :-

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Just-a-heads-up-AMENDMENTS-TO-THE-PAYPAL-ACCOUNT-USER-AGREE...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

In this case at least it was a small value. I sent the buyer a paypal money request for $2.50 and she paid it straight away. So I think I will use this method. I would rather do that than have to raise prices and effect competitiveness and make other buyers wear the cost....

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Don't expect all your buyers to be that good about coughing up your fees. I'd say that buyer might be one in a million!
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Ebay gives you the option to accept the cancellation or not. So I guess you could say that you will not cancel the order until you receive the fee...??

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

i see someone who is about to get kicked off ebay - you can't request that money back - just one of the perils of listing on here and should be factored into any business plan as potential loss.  just wait until your buyers complain to ebay - you will be hung out to dry for wrecking the customers experience of ebay

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Sellers are pretty much screwed no mater which way they go.

If you refuse a refund (due to buyer remorse or change of mind) you leave yourself open to a angry buyer who may retilate with a negative that is unwarrented.

If you refund you lose money to Paypal.

I agree with super.  Just cop it and move on. Its alot less painful.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I certainly would not do this on a return whatever the reason was. I am happy to wear that as a part of business of course.

Its the people who buy and then want to cancel a few minutes later that leaves one frustrated. They buy, pay and then almost in the same motion send a cancellation request which leaves the seller left with the fees and usually a relisting job too. I bought this up at a recent eBay conference and as much as they understood the annoyance their thoughts were that they were bringing in the new payment system asap which will solve all such issues. Hopefully sooner than later!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

i chatted with eBay about cancellation fee.

eBay consultant said i could communicate with buyer via eBay message system to charge a cancellation fee.

eBay would not enforce the cancellation fee to be paid from buyer.

This would not affect my eBay account status if I ask for a cancellation fee from buyer.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I had the same issues too. Hope eBay would make some changes to stop buyers accidentially buy something and regret and cancel. Perhaps some cooling period to stop charging both buyers and sellers fees on cancellation.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply