Closing a Return

We had a buyer open a return claiming faulty item.  Buyer then left positivie feedback stating all good. We sent several messages to the buyer asking for clarification and heard nothing back. This was 8 or so weeks ago. Can we close a return after a period of time. We have asked the buyer to ....to no response!

Cheers

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Closing a Return

The buyer needs to do it - I think if you do it from your end, eBay will close the case and automatically refund the buyer.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Closing a Return

Yes what I thought. I wont be doing that then. SO it will remain open forever I guess! What a stupid system.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Closing a Return

Not quite.
If a buyer has been unresponsive for more than 30 days then the case should automatically close with no penalty to the seller.
You need to speak with eBay (recommend using the callback feature). But be clear that you do not wish to escalate the case or they will find in favour of the buyer. Just show them that the buyer has been unresponsive and you wish it closed.
We had one like this last year. It took two days but they did close it with no penalty.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Closing a Return

Mmm, I made the mistake of closing one from my end (where I knew the buyer had received the item, as I'd sent it with a subsequent purchase), and eBay automatically refunded him, even though he'd gotten the item...

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Closing a Return

@performance_parts_clearance_centre wrote:

Mmm, I made the mistake of closing one from my end (where I knew the buyer had received the item, as I'd sent it with a subsequent purchase), and eBay automatically refunded him, even though he'd gotten the item...

The reason for this would be that since you had no specific tracking for the replacement item they would be unable to verify that you had actually sent it, as it went with another tracked order. So not being able to verify you had sent it they would find in favour of the buyer for sure. The replacement item needs to have its own separate verifiable tracking number uploaded onto the INR case.

But there is a clear difference between closure of the case because the buyer has been unresponsive and your example.

There is a fine line between case closure and escalation and then subsequent closure. That's why I said be very careful how you word it to the CSR. Even the CSR in my phone call was cautious as to what was actually required.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply