Clothing sellers in particular I need help please! Or you may get a new friend listing

A top I sold back on May 25th is of a concern to me. Buyer  pd by ppal same week & I posted on payment day using ebay post Melb metro to Melb metro. Item arrived promptly, according to tracking. The buyer got back to me on 16/6. Top is too red.

My reply @ the time was please return for full refund. (You can keep the free earrings as they were a gift - I had included them as they looked to me to go well with the top - both items new w tags & earrings packaged) 

178 FB buyer. Not heard from until today demanding the $10 refund I promised her? -  I had asked for return of item for refund, which was not done. Buyer left pos FB Thanks in late July.

Do I reply or ignore? Buyer seems to be lazy at best or trying things out ?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Clothing sellers in particular I need help please! Or you may get a new friend listing

I'm not a clothing seller, but I'm here now. If she's not opened a dispute, ignore her. Sounds to me like the wants a refund and to keep the item. Don't suggest opening a dispute. She's too late for eBay MBG now anyway and she may not know to go through PayPal. She may also have been turned off knowing she will have to pay the postage costs.

I would say that the buyer wanted the top to wear to an event. The event is over and she now has no further use for the top. Sadly, there are a number of buyers who pull that stunt. Thankfully most buyers are great, but a certain percentage are "wardrobers". They see buying clothes on eBay as a library. They've used it, now want to return it. Just like a library book.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Hi Tippy; I think she may have timed out & given her slackness in replies &/or return I think you are on the ball (The item was an evening top) I think she has worn it for an event.

Strangely I didn't insist on intact tags for return, so without tags it would be vitrually useless to offer for resale (The top was an expensive Italian knit that went for $10 plus post) 

I'm so over selling women's clothing!  It appears she may shuffle through her wardrobe about once a month & try to return items worn & not wanted.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I offer no solution for your original problem, but on all my listings, I state "I will not refund because the colour looks different on your monitor", as well as stating the colour in the title, details and description. I have had buyers buy items titled "Black Ski Pants", marked as BLACK under Colour in the Details section, and then as black ski pants in the item description, and then ask for a refund because "they look navy in the pics"!!!!

In these instances, when a buyer has gone to eBay seeking a refund, eBay have always sided with me.

Also, I agree with Stawks that she probably wanted it for one event, and maybe put in positive feedback before seeking a refund, hoping that you would be kindly disposed toward her (I've also had that tried out on me!)

Good luck,

Marina.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks Marina; She asked for a refund for "too red" way back in June. Left pos Thanks word only (& trashed my stars) in July Then nothing to my response to return for refund until today.

I too put in a disclaimer to please allow for colour differences due to monitor settings within every listing. Along with my sizing measurements for clothing. 

In the instance of this top it was described as tomato bright red (The top being Italian designer knitwear)

How red is too red? I wonder...

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@redders_60 wrote:

How red is too red? I wonder...

Just to give the buyer a little benefit of the doubt, they may have meant "too red for me" rather than too red full stop. (So much communication from buyers is clipped and often difficult to fully determine meaning - sometimes I wish I could tell people they're contacting someone they've had a business transaction with, not texting someone they don't like very much, which is how half the messages I receive come across >_> ).

Anyway, I would reply, politely but with no offer of anything. I'd actually respond under the presumption they've contacted me by mistake, citing all of the relevant facts (i.e. 'sorry, you may have me confused with another seller as a $10 refund wasn't offered, and that an offer was made for a full refund on return but which expired [whenever your terms or discussion would have meant it ended]. 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Ok.. so I've read your listing for the red top. (beautiful top btw) Man Happy

Your listing description is very precise.
I even read your statement of conditions for returns, so the fact that you offered her a refund, was nice considering it goes against your terms for refunds.

I'm going to agree with Tippy Toes and I reckon she's worn the top and has now decided to try you on for a refund.

She cant open a case, and you dont LEGALLY owe her a refund.. She already left positive feedback, so the best she can do is  to never give you her custom again.... and thats probably a good thing Man Happy

Just ignore her now.....  She isnt worth two panadol for the headache!

Man Happy Man Happy Man Happy

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@redders_60 wrote:

A top I sold back on May 25th is of a concern to me. Buyer  pd by ppal same week & I posted on payment day using ebay post Melb metro to Melb metro. Item arrived promptly, according to tracking. The buyer got back to me on 16/6. Top is too red.

@My reply @ the time was please return for full refund. (You can keep the free earrings as they were a gift - I had included them as they looked to me to go well with the top - both items new w tags & earrings packaged) 

178 FB buyer. Not heard from until today demanding the $10 refund I promised her? -  I had asked for return of item for refund, which was not done. Buyer left pos FB Thanks in late July.

Do I reply or ignore? Buyer seems to be lazy at best or trying things out ?

If you'd like a special friend in your garden  I'd suggest you add a plant called jonquil  rose would go nice with that. You could put them all together.

Adding to others advice IMO

- Think the benefit of the doubt should apply to buyer indicating "Top is too red" -  I would take that to mean garment is too red for their taste or intended use

- Always put a DEADLINE for return in your listings - yours is clearly 7 days - but ensure that you reiterate the deadlinse that apply when responding to messages.  I am not at all confident that in general buyers check the returns policy and timelines that apply to a listing prior to purchase, or even when there is a problem.

- IMO only ignore a buyer when it is very appropriate to ignore (harrassing messages / buyers seeking a block removed / crack pots etc) - generally in a situation that a third party (such as paypal or eBay) is highly likely to be sympathetic to your non-response.  If in doubt, respond (well considered and crafted response - of course)

- Was your message to the buyer clear enough about your requirements regarding the timeframe and other requirements that applied to return - if it was vague, IMO use this opportunity to "tighten up" your responses to buyers or potential buyers.  Quote your published return conditions if appropriate.

- Review the photos for your listings on a few different computer screens - are the colors and tones signficantly and consistently duller / different / brighter than the actual items you are photographing.   You may be able to make accomodation for any stand-out variations by specifically referening these variation - "actual color is brighter / deeper / more blue red purple green than may be reflected in photos"

- If color is not the "standard" color and is brighter, duller or different than "average"  (know this is subjective) you might like to consider to assist buyers, and avoid their disappointment, highlighting tones for example color is red with strong rust tone, color is bright tomato red  or color is red, with strong maroon tone.   Soooo many variations to color and as you acknowledge in your listings color varies between monitors, so more info may prove to be helpful.

Just my two bobs worth to you, and others selling clothes that may read this thread.  

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

You don't need to insist the item be return with tags, it is eBays policy that the item be returned in the condition it was, so it needs to be return with tags of that is how it is sent.

Reply to your buyer that the item needs to be returned in the condition it was sent before you can refund.

i would add to your descriptions that "monitors vary and therefore colours seen on minors may vary. Please take this into consideration"

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I had a similar case. Numpty Buyer wanted to return because when she received it she said it was and that she didn't like blue because her school uniform was blue. She thought it was grey or green. Then told me I need to list items properly and should list the colour in the listing. If she bothered to read the listing in full, the colour which was blue/green was clearly stated in the Item Specifics! 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply