Combined Postage

Hi All and thanks in advance for your opinions,

Has ebay changed something that people have to pay for things individually or are buyers just being impatient?

I state clearly, I thought, that I combine postage and to please wait until I send a revised invoice with the combined postage before paying.

I have had so many people pay 2 or 3 lots of postage lately it is driving me nuts. I have been refunding the buyer the difference and just copping the fees for postage from ebay as you only get a fee refund from paypal NOT ebay.

I am getting to a point though I am tired of copping these fees and am thinking of just keeping the postage or posting things in small satchels instead of large letters so they get what they pay for but then I am still paying bigger fees so I am not really making much money from the items.

What do others do in this situation??

Regards debbie ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Combined Postage

I think from previous posts that some buyers have difficulty with checkout if they are using mobile phones.

You could send them individually - indeed, ebay protection requires that you do - but it does not make for happy buyers in the end.  

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

I refund them less the eBay fees for the extra postage.

I haven't had anybody complain yet.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Mobile aps and some international sites seem to be the common themes when buyers advise that they have to pay for things individually and immediately. There are also plenty of buyers who intend to buy only one item, but then find another of your item after they have paid for the first one.  Also lots of buyers do not read item descriptions so won't see your comments about combining and discounts.

I no longer provide refunds when buyers pay for two items separately.  No-one has complained (yet) about not receiving a discount.  I will provide a discount for 3 or more if paid separately, but not as much as my quoted shipping prices.  I will decuct the additional paypal & eBay fees before finalising the refund.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

My official policy is that the purchases will be sent separately, though in practice things are a little different (I mainly have this as my policy as it means people can't really complain if I do opt to post separately - eg if it's cheaper - and also I would occasionally get people buying other things hours apart, after I've already packaged [sometimes posted] earlier purchases and wanting combined postage).

Usually, however, I automatically combine and like others, refund excess minus additional costs incurred. Sometimes I will upgrade the postage, to registered or parcel post, but I still refund a small amount as a courtesy gesture, since often times if I upgrade postage, I would have anyway if the buyer had paid for them all together and paid my lower flat rate P&H instead, plus I still get the benefits that come with the upgraded postage like tracking etc.

Very few acknowledge this in one way or another. Every now and then I get a really ticked off message because the buyer thinks I refunded for being out of stock or something (I make a note on the refunds what they're for, but don't advise the buyer in a separate eBay message or anything so some will just see the refund notification and go off), and, even rarer, I'll get a message thanking me as they hadn't thought or expected postage would be combined. How much I actually refund depends on postage costs, whether I upgraded etc, but I try to honour my normal postage discounts as much as possible. 

One thing I do want to mention, is that sometimes a buyer will make a single payment, but it gets split by PayPal into separate payments. One reason this occurs is because there are different postage services selected hy the seller. For example, if on one listing they have "Standard postage" selected, and on another they have "Parcel Post" selected, the payments will be split because in eBay / PayPal's infinite 'wisdom' each item is being posted by completely different services and can not be combined (for this reason, no matter whether I'll be using large letter or parcel post, I use 'standard delivery' and just quote the price, which also means my automatic postage discounts will be applied in the shopping cart). 

This also happens on multiple-item orders where different postage services are available and the buyer switches only one, thinking it applies to all, when unfortunately it doesn't. eg I have standard, registered and express available. If a buyer purchases 5 items and during checkout, selects express on one item, I'll get two payments with the full amount of express charged and paid on one item, then standard postage charged and paid on the rest. I always combine and refund in these cases too, and usually refund the full amount of the excess postage (there's a few reasons why I treat these a little differently - one being that my standard postage rates are actually a little under what I should be charging while my express charges are not, and also because when express is paid for, some of my risks are minimised). 

I try to advise people in my listings how to access my combined postage discounts when using mobile apps etc, as that helps us both out, but it usually goes unnoticed unfortunately, unless / until we have direct communication via messages. 

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I have had the same problem and it has only recently started to happen,

I do refund the any extra postage to my customers.

I always claim back the postage refunds through Ebay Online Chat on a monthly basis. Does not take long if you have all the info ready to copy and paste.

One of my customers was not on the mobile and was using a laptop. It always happens on BIN items and there is no reason why it should, as I have not got the Instant Payment box ticked ( which was confirmed by Customer service when I contacted them to find out why it keep happening.

I was told the customer has to contact Customer Service to find out why it happened. Of course I would not want any more hassle for my customers.

There is a problem with the system somehow and I told the Customer Service Officer to pass the problem onto his Supervisor, of course whether he did or not I will never know as it just keeps happening
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

You can claim the fees back from eBay - I go through help & contact and find the closest subject that has an email contact option (don't like making phone calls) Provide your item number and PayPal refund transaction ID information and ask for the fees to be credited to your account. Tell them you have combined postage discounts in place but your buyer paid each transaction separately. I have never had a problem - I don't have a large volume of sales, it might be a pain if you do - but it is even more reason to claim back your fees, eBay gets enough out of us as it is!!

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Another kinda hidden fee you get hit with when they pay individually is the extra 30 cents PayPal transaction for each payment.
EBay don't refund that, you need to ask PayPal yo refund that.
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Never thought of that Clarry. Thanks for bringing to my attention.

How do you do this? Have you gotten a refund from Paypal for multiple payments?
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I was under the impression that paypal no longer refund the 30cent part of the payment even when a full refund is issued.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply