Combined Postage

Hi All and thanks in advance for your opinions,

Has ebay changed something that people have to pay for things individually or are buyers just being impatient?

I state clearly, I thought, that I combine postage and to please wait until I send a revised invoice with the combined postage before paying.

I have had so many people pay 2 or 3 lots of postage lately it is driving me nuts. I have been refunding the buyer the difference and just copping the fees for postage from ebay as you only get a fee refund from paypal NOT ebay.

I am getting to a point though I am tired of copping these fees and am thinking of just keeping the postage or posting things in small satchels instead of large letters so they get what they pay for but then I am still paying bigger fees so I am not really making much money from the items.

What do others do in this situation??

Regards debbie ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Combined Postage

@davewil1964 wrote:

I refund them less the eBay fees for the extra postage.

I haven't had anybody complain yet.

I do the same. I clearly state on each listing that if they don't wait for an invoice, excess postage paid will be refunded less any eBay fees.

No one has ever complained.

If they pay for items individually, same deal. I take the 30c Paypal fee out for each item they paid for separately, plus the eBay fees for excess postage, and whatever's left is their refund.

I typically send invoices within the hour of items being purchased, so if people are too impatient to wait, then they can cop those fees, imo.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

I do the same. I clearly state on each listing that if they don't wait for an invoice, excess postage paid will be refunded less any eBay fees.

If they pay for items individually, same deal. I take the 30c Paypal fee out for each item they paid for separately, plus the eBay fees for excess postage, and whatever's left is their refund.

I typically send invoices within the hour of items being purchased, so if people are too impatient to wait, then they can cop those fees, imo.

Most of the buyers I have issues doing this are newbie, yellow star buyers. I believe they want to be seen as doing the right thing. Being a good buyer. If I can grab them before they pay I can sometimes stop them, if I can see they are still bidding on other items. Sometimes they either don't get, or they ignore the message requesting them to wait until they are finished buying to pay, so they can save lots of money on postage.

The week before last a buyer bought 2 items and paid for each one as it finished. I sent him a message saying he had overpaid and I would refund the difference, but in future, if you buy more than one thing, wait for the seller to send an invoice with the revised postage cost. I went into PayPal and it was empty. Mr Tippy had been buying. I tried to refund, and it said it would come from my nominated account, but it didn't go through. I figured I'd wait until someone else bought something.

Last week he bid on 2 items on a different account. I sent him a message before the auctions finished, pointing out he'd bought from my other account and had overpaid. I said I'd tried to refund but it didn't go through. I then said not to pay until I send an invoice, which I'll remove the postage from as he'd been overpaid and we'd be even. He replied asking if he was really getting free postage. I said yes and he said he'd rather that than a refund.

That worked out well! Normally if someone overpays I refund minus the fees. I'm sick of buyers not reading the description saying to wait for an invoice and if you pay separately, items will be sent separately (even though I've never enforced that rule).

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@everard6920 wrote:

Most of the buyers I have issues doing this are newbie, yellow star buyers. I believe they want to be seen as doing the right thing. Being a good buyer. If I can grab them before they pay I can sometimes stop them, if I can see they are still bidding on other items. Sometimes they either don't get, or they ignore the message requesting them to wait until they are finished buying to pay, so they can save lots of money on postage.

The week before last a buyer bought 2 items and paid for each one as it finished. I sent him a message saying he had overpaid and I would refund the difference, but in future, if you buy more than one thing, wait for the seller to send an invoice with the revised postage cost. I went into PayPal and it was empty. Mr Tippy had been buying. I tried to refund, and it said it would come from my nominated account, but it didn't go through. I figured I'd wait until someone else bought something.

Last week he bid on 2 items on a different account. I sent him a message before the auctions finished, pointing out he'd bought from my other account and had overpaid. I said I'd tried to refund but it didn't go through. I then said not to pay until I send an invoice, which I'll remove the postage from as he'd been overpaid and we'd be even. He replied asking if he was really getting free postage. I said yes and he said he'd rather that than a refund.

That worked out well! Normally if someone overpays I refund minus the fees. I'm sick of buyers not reading the description saying to wait for an invoice and if you pay separately, items will be sent separately (even though I've never enforced that rule).

If it's their first time buying from me, I'll typically send them a full refund along with a message about how to combine postage the next time.

If they do it the next time (and this happens often), then they pay the fees.

I have one buyer who typically buys 10+ items and pays for each one separately. I can't tell you how many times I've asked her not to do it (and explained to her exactly HOW to combine postage). She cops the 30c for each extra payment, plus eBay fees. I guess she doesn't care because she keeps buying from me . . .

Really though, having to send revised invoices could be avoided if eBay provided a more robust system for combined postage. Postage rules are fiddly and restrictive; it only allows you to specify an amount for "each additional item". I'd like to be able to specify, for example, "50c for each additional item up to 5 items, and free for each item after that".

Other online store software usually allows you to enter the weight of the item, the packaging, and have it calculate it that way, but

eBay calculated postage is out because I use large letters (if I'm overlooking a way to do what I've specified in the example, please let me know . . .).

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

I'd like to be able to specify, for example, "50c for each additional item up to 5 items, and free for each item after that".

This is actually possible via promotional postage rules (which work separately to flat postage rules), and in fact overrule them where applicable. 

It's contingent on your postage prices being pretty much the same across the board as (from memory) you can only have one postage rule, though it doesn't have to be applied to all listings, but if it sounds like it would work for you, you just need to set up a postage cap, so if say your postage costs are $5 + 50c per additional item (and assuming 5 items includes the first at $5 plus 4 at 50c each), then you'd set up a postage cap of $7.00. 

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

@helenm777 wrote:
Never thought of that Clarry. Thanks for bringing to my attention.

How do you do this? Have you gotten a refund from Paypal for multiple payments?

I have never requested a refund of this 30-cents, but have heard on here in the past where PayPal have credited the 30-cents for multiple transactions done within minutes of each other. So if you are concerned about it give them a call when it happens and see what they have to say.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I was under the impression that paypal no longer refund the 30cent part of the payment even when a full refund is issued.

I believe that to be true too.

The 30-cents is permanently spent once there is a payment transaction recorded.

However, as I said above I have heard of at least one instance where a seller asked PayPal for credit when multiple individual transactions have been made where a single one could have easily been done. But that was some time back now, so maybe they are not even doing this any more.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Wow, thank you to everyone for your opinons and replies, I like to do the right thing but it does get frustrating sometimes. That's ebay though ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply