Consequences of greater than 2 "Cases closed without seller resolution"?

Can anyone remind me what happens to an eBay store that goes from Top Rated to Below Standard due to it?

Do GTC listings still remain and get renewed as normal?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If you exceed the maximum number of closed cases without seller resolution or the maximum transaction defect rate, your account will be rated "Below Standard" eBay may limit your selling activity until your ratings improve.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

One consequence is that your listings will no longer rank highly in page search results.  You can expect sales to take a very big hit.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Managed to escape my third defect and therefore below standard. I was always under the impression that it was a difference between top rated and above standard, and not between top rated/above standard and below standard. From being a perfect 100% top rated to below standard seller in a potentially very short period of time and then a sinking feeling in the search results - I don't think nuance or history is something eBay cares about much.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

What on earth did you do? You feedback looks OK, but gee your stars have taken a beating. EBay doesn't care about history or anything else relating to sellers. They'd have you think otherwise from their "chat with ebay staff" session today. Don't believe it for a second. Sellers are all scum.

Apparently these days they don't kill you for falling below standard, they just flog you around a bit and drop you to the bottom of the best match search. You have 90 days to prove you're worth keeping. If you don't prove your worth in that time, it's off with your head.....forever. That includes innocent members of your household too. There are ways around it, but I'm not putting that out there on a public forum. A friend of my sister was shut down around the same time as a regular forum member here. She is selling again, only eBay don't know it's her. She is even more successful with her new account.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

What on earth did you do? You feedback looks OK, but gee your stars have taken a beating. EBay doesn't care about history or anything else relating to sellers. They'd have you think otherwise from their "chat with ebay staff" session today. Don't believe it for a second. Sellers are all scum.

Apparently these days they don't kill you for falling below standard, they just flog you around a bit and drop you to the bottom of the best match search. You have 90 days to prove you're worth keeping. If you don't prove your worth in that time, it's off with your head.....forever. That includes innocent members of your household too. There are ways around it, but I'm not putting that out there on a public forum. A friend of my sister was shut down around the same time as a regular forum member here. She is selling again, only eBay don't know it's her. She is even more successful with her new account.

It doesn't have anything to do with the account you're looking at, it's a separate one. As for the stars, it's probably just the low amount of transactions. One not completely satisfied buyer can easily bring the average down.

Anyway, my other account (which has better stars) was 1 defect away from below standard. Consider this situation:

1. Buyer from overseas pays for item in December.

2. Seller (me) ships the item by economy (no tracking).

3. Buyer opens Item Not Received case in February.

4. Buyer escalates to Claim and receives refund. I receive defect.

5. The item is returned to sender (me) in July. The new labels show that the parcel was for whatever reason, not claimed.

6. I called eBay and requested a defect removal and offered to show photos of this parcel which shows proof of postage and proof of (attempted) delivery. The eBay customer rep did not care at all. They wanted an online tracking number or nothing.

7. At least I got my item back.

It seems like everything has to have online tracking, and my offline tracking (so-to-speak) has no value.

In any case, below standard status has been kept at bay. For now.

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Yes, that's what I was afraid of. Being on page 100 of the search results instead of page 1.

What do you mean by "off with your head"? Do you mean suspension of the seller account? The thing is that it's very easy to fall into below standard status. Speaking of which, it's just as easy to be top-rated. I can understand why it's easy to be a top-rated seller: because there is next to no noticeable benefits. But being below standard status has very noticeable and very damaging consequences and for that reason, I think there needs to be more leeway before a seller enters that territory.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Re the message about the parcel not being claimed. Let me guess, buyer was in the UK and realised they were going to have to pay import tax to collect their parcel? Some when they realise that refuse to accept the parcel, then claim a refund for INR. I'm pretty sure if they refuse to accept a parcel due to taxes they lose their buyer protection, but don't quote me on that.

I think it's been establised that if a buyer stakes a claim, you won't get a defect if you choose to refund. The defect comes when the buyer asks eBay to step in and help and the case closes in the buyers favour.

Hopefully you can keep the defects at bay now and not drop below standard. As you say, top rated seller means nothing. It does in the US, but not here. I lost it on all 3 of my accounts earlier in the year due to a drop off in sales, but it's made no difference to anything. I run auctions so best match rankings don't really apply to me.

At least with the system now, you do have a chance to redeem yourself after you drop to below standard. In the past, you were gone. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, in jail forever.

I'm really glad you got the item back. You did much better than a lot of others who lose both the money and the item.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Yes Tippy....you are right about buyers losing the right to a refund if they do not collect a parcel from anywhere....Customs or the PO or if the parcel is destroyed by Customs for being an illegal import.

The problem is, ebay/paypal can only enforce that if the item is tracked and the seller can show that it is awaiting collection.

Many years ago I had to return an item to a seller in the UK...it was sent with tracking which cost a fortune.  It arrived but the seller did not send my refund.  After several emails the seller gave the refund but denied ever receiving the item.  Some 4 months later it arrived back to me (sent by surface mail) and I managed to work out from the notations on the packaging that the seller had refused to collect it as he would have to pay duty on it.  That was when I first found out how low the threshold was in the UK.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Re the message about the parcel not being claimed. Let me guess, buyer was in the UK and realised they were going to have to pay import tax to collect their parcel? Some when they realise that refuse to accept the parcel, then claim a refund for INR.

That is a possibility that I didn't think of. It was a buyer from a South American country so their import taxes are probably worse. I'm surprised it made it back to me and I'm surprised the package was more or less the same condition I sent it in.

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I think it's been establised that if a buyer stakes a claim, you won't get a defect if you choose to refund. The defect comes when the buyer asks eBay to step in and help and the case closes in the buyers favour.

Isn't "staking a claim" the same thing as "asking eBay to step in"? From my understanding the process is buyer opens "case" and during this period, communication with the seller is open and the seller can choose to offer refunds or partial refunds. Once it goes from "case" to "claim" (at the buyer's discretion) then that's when communication is ceased and eBay "steps in" shortly after.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply