Continue with Ebay store or cancel subscription

Now that many of us are on the new MP system, I'm just wondering if it's worth it to continue with a store subscription?

When I first opened it in 2014, there were listing limits depending on which subscription you paid for.

Now I'm given to understand that we can list several thousand items without listing fees on MP? I generally have under 400 items in this store and don't plan on any substantial increase.

So, besides having a store front/brand and slightly cheaper fees (offset by the cost of the subscription), are there any other REAL benefits to having a store?

Does the vacation/time away mode work if you don't have a store?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Time away works for non-stores.

Unless you are selling way more than me the store cost is not offset.

I choose to keep my basic store as I feel it gives me a level of professionalism.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I've been considering the same thing, especially since I haven't sold anything from my store of over 400 items in nearly 2 weeks.

Yes, it can add a degree of professionalism as Dave has pointed out, but I'm paying more in store fees than I'm making from sales. I'll give it for 2 more weeks and unless there is a upsurge in sales, I may close my store.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

@dave - thanks, good to know the time away mode works for non stores.

@gumleaf - I think you're right. I'm also going to see what happens for the rest of this month and then probably drop the subscription. I'm busy doing my own website, so I'd rather redirect that money into Google ads or something. 

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

One of the benefits of having a store is the use of 'in store categories'...but if you only sell one type of thing, maybe doesn't matter??

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

@twyngwyn.

That's a good point, which I had not realised. I have several dozen different categories, so I'm going to have to consider if I'm happy to have everything lumped together. Although I must say that I deeply dislike the way they have the new store and category layout now anyway. 

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I continue with my featured store as the reduction in FVFs is worth more that the cost of the store so financially I am ahead (but not by much).  I am never sure if a store equals greater sales compared to not having a store - how would you know?

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

The store now is pretty much for the slight discount, and all of the tools that can only be used when you have a store (i.e. the storefront itself with a banner, the seller-created categories and promotions manager, which includes things like promotional postage rates, volume discounts and coupon codes). 

The new store update has introduced a couple of other features, eg the ability to have store policies written out in the about section (like they have on Etsy). I'm not sure what financial records are / aren't provided to non-store holders, some of them were originally only available by subscribing to SMP but pretty much everyone has that now.

JMHO, having a store is most helpful for creating a branded experience with custom categories that are more appropriate for a given seller and more useful to regular buyers. 

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I don't much like the new design either...but again, the benefit now, is that  you get to keep your customer within the store (like the good ol' days)...

and if you have everything 'lumped together' will your buyers be prepared to do a 'search'?

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

digi - for clarification - are you saying that the below are only store features and non store sellers can not access things like promotional postage rates and coupon codes??  I never knew these things were only for stores.

"..and promotions manager, which includes things like promotional postage rates, volume discounts and coupon codes"

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply