Counterfeit items and copyright infringement

I have a seller in my category that is selling the top brand named items but they are I presume counterfeit for a number of reasons. The items have the brand names on them but some of the logos and brand names are digitally altered so it looks foggy over the name but some logos and names on the items are still visible.  

My question is if the actual item being sold has the logos and brand names on them but the seller is not using the brand name in the description and the images are only blurred out on some logos and brand names that is still not allowed I would presume, that is if the items are not made by the brand.

As parallel importation of genuine brand name items is legal in Australia why would the seller be doing it? 

They are a Top Rated Seller located in Australia.

Any educated responses would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Counterfeit items and copyright infringement

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Can you post the full title of one of the items in question please?

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

Parallel imports usually refers to things like Chocolates and Toothpaste etc that are made overseas in (for example) the Colgate or Cadbury's Factories. It's the same brand name, just made overseas, therefore cheaper to sell which is why you find them in Cheap shops.

Sale and importation of counterfeit goods such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Prada etc is Illegal and you can end up in hot water if the police find out.. 

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

New 7TS58 Yellow 27Inch  

I suppose it could be a way of selling into markets that don't allow parallel imports but if only the images are digitally adjusted and the product is the name brand then that would not matter.

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

A couple of thoughts come to mind.

Could be legit.

Or they could be selling an OM product without the logo's. (Buying from same company that makes them for the name branded company)

Or they could be selling a cheap very similar looking item and using some stock shots taken from google. In other words you get something completely inferior that looks the same. (Common with Chinese items).

Or they are selling the known brand items, but do not have permission to.

image host
Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

That is a hard one to call.  The listing is definitely in Chinglish and although the items are supposed to be in Sydney there is a disclaimer that they may come from overseas if there is no stock in the local warehouse.

This usually means that you will get the item from overseas.

And do you really want to buy an unstrung tennis racquet?

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

happy to have dumped ebay

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

OP

Prince rings a bell from the days when I could actually play tennis. Not sure you could nail the seller apart from a direct report to the manufacturer. He has slipped in the main body of the listing to reveal the brand name.

For all you know ( in these times ) it could be the manufacturer direct selling & trying not to get his regular customers off side.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

And do you really want to buy an unstrung tennis racquet?

Lyndal I have bought a few racquets in my past life as a local comp player and they were all unstrung.

You actually get them strung to your requirements at the time of purchase.

eg I could not afford to keep a racquet strung with natural gut yet others would want natural gut in a new racquet thus the reason they are purchased unstrung.

Prince were a mid price large head, large sweet spot racquet and I am sure they are still available today.

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump...I mentioned 'Prince' because that is the obscured

brand name on the raquet OP is concerned about. 

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply