Credit never applied to my account

Hi all, in april I sold an item to a buyer who never responded or paid, so I had to cancel out the order. The fees were $440, which ebay said would be applied to my account within 24hrs. this never happened. 

Said I could use up the $440 for 'selling more items on ebay'. Never agreed to this. Will never happen as I don't sell much of anything on ebay. I needed this money refunded to my credit card. 

I then sold another item in June and would have assumed that would use up the credit on my account, but was not. Instead they are implying I should use up $440 worth of ebay listings, not being used as the commission fees. Incredible really. They charged me another $440 for that item. So I am $440 out of pocket basically. I don't sell many items or list many at all so to use up $440 worth of funds in insertion fees would take me a decade.

They don't respond, have no way of getting my $440 back.

Lodging with the ACCC now. 

cheers!

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

If you actually closed the case properly, the fees would have been refunded to your account. Never, never do they get refunded to you directly. It's in the eBay T&Cs you agreed to when you signed up. Nothing for the ACCC there. The money would show as a credit, which would be used automatically to offset any further fees that you incurred. Like the next month.

Before going to the ACCC, I suggest you check your invoices.

Apart from anything else, your monthly store subscription fees will eat it up fairly quickly. Given you have a store, you must be selling enough to offset the store cost, so there seem to be some inconsistencies in your story.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

If you actually closed the case properly, the fees would have been refunded to your account. Never, never do they get refunded to you directly. It's in the eBay T&Cs you agreed to when you signed up. Nothing for the ACCC there. The money would show as a credit, which would be used automatically to offset any further fees that you incurred. Like the next month.

Incorrect mate, if you are selling nothing or its higher than your current ebay fees invoice, ebay will refund it.

Before going to the ACCC, I suggest you check your invoices.

Apart from anything else, your monthly store subscription fees will eat it up fairly quickly. Given you have a store, you must be selling enough to offset the store cost, so there seem to be some inconsistencies in your story.

ebayrefund.png

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Well I thought I cancelled out the sale properly. It was cancelled and had a cancellation ID number.

And no they are still charging me monthly store fees. There is nowhere I can find the credit either, so I'm $440 short and they owe this to me.

I don't really use ebay to sell, it's more an advertising tool if you will.

Not sure where I go from here?

cheers!

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Also have credit card provider looking into this but that's been 6 weeks now.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

@oztheatrescreens wrote:

Well I thought I cancelled out the sale properly. It was cancelled and had a cancellation ID number.

And no they are still charging me monthly store fees. There is nowhere I can find the credit either, so I'm $440 short and they owe this to me.

cheers!

Contact ebay through live chat. Not as good as speaking directly with them but you're only option I think at this point

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Thanks mate will try that when I get time.

They used to have a phone number in Sydney you could actually talk to them.. so surreal haha

Number is no longer connected of course.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

@oztheatrescreens wrote:

cheers!

Well, close your store then. Why do you have a store if you don't have many listings, and by your own admission, don't list very often? A complete waste of money if you ask me. If you don't list many items, and rarely sell, then the 40 free listings that you get with a non store account would be much better for you. Stop giving eBay money for nothing.

As for the fees, if you were charged $440 worth of fees for a sale, you would owe eBay $440. If the sale doesn't go through and you open an unpaid dispute, or you cancel the sale, eBay refunds those fees when you close the case. Meaning, you now owe eBay $0. You don't get the fees given to you as a monetary amount, because they were never yours. The refund cancels out what you owed eBay had the sale gone through.

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

@oztheatrescreens wrote:

They used to have a phone number in Sydney you could actually talk to them.. so surreal haha

Yeah, it's called a pandemic. Call centres have been closed for at least 5 months. Who would have thought?

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

@oztheatrescreens wrote:

I believe its the phillipines not sydney haha

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply