Customer change of mind transactions and Paypal transaction fees

Hi,

Just wondering what other sellers out there do in regards to customer purchasing an item and then changing their mind and request a refund.

Do you refund their amount less the Paypal transaction fee of 30c or do you just wear it?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

When you issue a full refund paypal automatically refunds their fee.  For partial refunds they refund the portion of the fees applying to the amount of the refund, but the 30c transaction fee stands, and rightly so, as there is still a transaction in play.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

PayPal will issue a full refund including the fee.

Not sure what you by wear it? as you don't have to pay the fee once it is refunded.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

PayPal always keep the 30-cent transaction fee no matter what happens later as there has always been a transaction.

That's the way I've always understood it. And it has indeed happened on our PayPal accounts when we have issued refunds.

The 2.4% part they do refund... yes, but not the 30-cents part.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

The 30c transaction fee is not refunded by Paypal on full refunds - that is my understanding and that is what I see in my Paypal account.

So back to the original question, when the customer changes their mind because they no longer want the item, do other sellers charge the customer the 30c fee or do you just wear it. It may only be 30cents but it does add up in the end and I don't think the seller should be responsible if the customer changes their mind.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Whenever I have refunded in full, Paypal have always refunded the full amount of the fees including the 30c transaction fee.  But then again, like Ebay, Paypal are not that big on consistency.

In any case, to answer the OPs question, for change of mind refunds it would depend on whether the item had been sent.  If it was, then I would refund only the purchase price, not the postage, therefore it would be a partial refund only.  If it had not, I would refund the full payment, and if Paypal doesn't reverse the 30c fee, I personally would wear it, but if you were planning to deduct that amount, it would need to be negotiated with the buyer first as a condition of accepting the change of mind return. 

Cheers,

Penny
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I dont refund for change of mind just as I would never ask for a refund if I changed my mind. Because franky its not really on.  Problem solved.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

i no longer refund for change of mind - not since  a lady bought a great pair of leather boots in excellent condition she was very happy with - confirmed by her positive feedback.

A few days later she discovered that her feet were different sizes (from each other - not the boots)  & wanted to send them back.

I'd never struck anything like this before so came onto this board for the first time to ask for advice.

I'm so glad I did.

On advice, I suggested she onsell them on ebay & said I was happy for her to use my photos & words.

Didn't hear back again.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply