Customer from UK says he has to pay 17 pounds for custom charge. Who pays?

slimjimbalim
Community Member

Just sent a customer a box of 10 used cds and a second hand t-shirt, and he replies that at his end the post office sent him a card stating he has to pay 17 pounds custom charge to pick it up?  who pays for this? I done everything right, I have the parcel Id tracking number, paid $55 to have it shipped (which is HEAPS). Ive never had this before when a buyer from overseas has had a problem like this receiving a parcel I have sent. Have i did something wrong, or is it the buyers resposiblility to check on their own countries Customs rules, prior to buying from another country? I also marked the custom declaration form 'a gift' and a relatively low item description price. Any suggestions as to what has happenned, who is responsible for the fee? Both of us feel it is wrong that this happenned.  Thanks guys!!

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

It's the buyers responsibility to pay the custom charges,not yours.

Having said that,it's actually illegal to mark items as a gift so you could find yourself in hot water.

It's sort of a lose lose situation here-sorry.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

slimjimbalim
Community Member

thanks for the advice! If not marked a gift, in this case what would the best thing to mark the package as?

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Both of us feel it is wrong that this happenned. 

Person living in UK should have known that anything valued over 16 pounds (or about that) is subject to custom duty, even if it is a gift, and it definitely is the responsibility of the buyer to pay.  The danger is that they will not collect it and it will be sent back.  The buyer may open INR case; if you posted it with tracking that should protect you, but when you get the item back you really cannot keep both the money and the item, do you............  I personally would refund the value of the items minus my fees, when/if it comes back.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

thanks for the advice! If not marked a gift, in this case what would the best thing to mark the package as?

Cannot think of what exactly the other options are - merchandise, I think 🙂

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

It is up to the buyer to know if they are up for the customs cost in their country.

In future state in your listing the buyer is responsible for any customs cost their end if there is any.

If it was not a gift then it should be marked at what it is and that is Merchandise.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

slimjimbalim
Community Member

thanks alot for the advice - 'merchandise' it is from here on out!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

slimjimbalim
Community Member

Thanks for your advice on this - I didnt know anything over 16 pounds is subject to a custom duty, Im assuming the buyer from UK should have known this. If he does send the package back that is what Il do... Thanks!

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply