Customer pick up, Payment on delivery time limitations

I have searched all over for an answer to this question but can't find one. We would like to know if we have an item set up for - customer pickup, payment on delivery ( if that is not a contradiction already ) how long does the customer have to pick it up before he is considered tardy?
Thanks for your time .
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

For the drum kit you had pick up only and cash on pick up so that looks correct.

The listing only ended yesterday and not everyone is on the computers every day.

Send a message asking when they would like to pick up the item.

The norm seems to be that a pick up item is collected within 7 days unless specified otherwise in your listing or other arrangements are made in messaging.

If no response from your message in 4-5 days you can open an unpaid item case to get your fee back and can relist.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks Kopenhagen for offering your insight
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@rollobsam wrote:
I have searched all over for an answer to this question but can't find one. We would like to know if we have an item set up for - customer pickup, payment on delivery ( if that is not a contradiction already ) how long does the customer have to pick it up before he is considered tardy?
Thanks for your time .

I don't think there is a set time unless you put something in your ad.

However, I have bought quite a few pick up items in the past & always I have contacted them within the first few hours to ask about pick up.

My advice would be  to write and ask them about pick up & perhaps offer some time frames. I hate it when sellers say when do you want to pick up & I answer with, well, I can pick up tomorrow morning if it suits & they say sorry, working-but then don't give me any idea of time frames that might suit.

If you don't hear back at all from the buyer after 4 days you can be pretty sure they aren't interested so open an unpaid item case against them.

If you hear back, try to arrange a time within the week, being sure to offer at least some option on the weekend.

You can come to a private arrangement to delay pick up beyond that. Use your judgement, if they are communicating a lot & seem keen you may be prepared to wait eg 9 or 10 days.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I usually specify in the listing how long a buyer has before paying and taking it away. 7 and 10 days are the time scales I use most although as long as a buyer gets in touch and makes a definite arrangement I will wait longer.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I appreciate everyone's response but I would like to know clearly whether there is an eBay rule on it or whether it's just a matter of reasonable communications and agreements
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

There is no ebay rule....I thought that was made clear in the answers you have been given.

The seller is free to make their own arrangements with the buyer but it is better to make it clear in the listing what you expect.....pickup within 5, 7, 10 or 14 days or whatever you choose.

It is also better to include a weekend in the pickup times as many people can only come at a weekend, especially if they need a trailer for large items.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you all for your responses . Someone has finally stated unambiguously that there is no rule but only agreements , that's all I needed to know.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply