DSR - 5 Stars - 4.95?

tstore
Community Member

Quick question, with seller dashboard, for postage time we have 4.95 but we do not have a "full star". Does it need to be 4.96? Going back to high school mathematics, I thought it got rounded up to 5 ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

DSR - 5 Stars - 4.95?

Not when you're talking about AVERAGES.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

DSR - 5 Stars - 4.95?

tstore
Community Member

Hi true, but we have 4.95 for postage cost and it is a full star? 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

DSR - 5 Stars - 4.95?

I suppose it's because it's a bit hard for Ebay to show a star with only 0.05% clipped off of it but just because you can't see that clearly in the icon you still only have an average of 4.95% overall according to what your buyers have marked you down as.

As a buyer I never bother ticking the star bits and pieces when leaving feedback, I only leave the feedback itself as a pos or whatever.

Maybe I'm just lazy but I can't see the point in it all myself because no buyer would be leaving you a pos fedback score if they weren't happy overall.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

DSR - 5 Stars - 4.95?

Quick question, with seller dashboard, for postage time we have 4.95 but we do not have a "full star". Does it need to be 4.96? Going back to high school mathematics, I thought it got rounded up to 5 ๐Ÿ™‚

4.96 - 4.99 is rounded up to 5

4.95 - 4.91 is rounded down to 4.9

It's not "traditional" mathematics, to round .95 down, but it's just how eBay have decided to do it. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

DSR - 5 Stars - 4.95?

tstore
Community Member

Thanks digital. Odd though one star is full with 4.95 as well. Oh well I am a perfectionist  to my detriment but not my buyers.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

DSR - 5 Stars - 4.95?

As a buyer I never bother ticking the star bits and pieces when leaving feedback, I only leave the feedback itself as a pos or whatever.

Maybe I'm just lazy but I can't see the point in it all myself because no buyer would be leaving you a pos fedback score if they weren't happy overall.

A lot of buyers actually only pay attention to the detailed seller ratings (the stars) and not the actual comment.

The stars, IMO, are the most important.

In regards to the last part of your comment, that isn't exactly true. I've been happy with my purchased item, and it's arrived in a timely fashion but the sellers communication hasn't been exactly glowing. The stars reflect that.

As a buyer, if you're going to leave feedback, the stars are more important than another green dot and any comment you could possibly make. You're not helping any seller if you don't rate them.

Doesnโ€™t expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

DSR - 5 Stars - 4.95?

Why would they be rounding anything, there is no need to do so?

In high school things only got rounded if in a maths exam/lesson you are told to round it to the nearest whole number or a certain number of decimal places.

Money is rounded in Australia because some fantastic treasurer (HaHa) decided we didn't need 1 cent or 2 cent pieces and then it is only rounded if it is a cash transaction. Money is not rounded when done electronically (actually it is illegal to round electronic transactions).

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

DSR - 5 Stars - 4.95?

My take is that 4.949 would show as 4.95 in your DSRs and 4.9 on your feedback page, whereas 4.951 would show as 4.95 in your DSRs but would round up to 5 on your feedback page.

It's double rounding that causes the confusion.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply