Dear Pierre Omidyar. Original founder of ebay..

Dear Mr Omidyar.

I see on wikipedia that you are a philanthropist..

I think you would be horrified to know what has happened and is happening to Ebay,  to what I would assume was a part of your vision for ebay.

As a philanthropist, you are obviously concerned about the less well off in society, those struggling, the poor and the disadvantaged in society.. and your ebay site is (was..could be...) an amazing opportunity for so many people.

What an amazing setup, helping people help themselves.

You have saved my life many times over the years when I was struggling to feed and clothe my family. You gave me hope. When I started on ebay I was a single mother of three small children, unable to work due to cost of childcare. You gave me a chance to get by, work my own hours and still be able to be there for my kids. You did this for me and many countless others, many of whom are still with ebay today. Most of all you gave us hope. For the first time ever was an opportunity for some of us to actually have some control over the financial situation in our lives, there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

The years go by, kids go to school. Mums go to work.. still never enough money for most families to ever buy any luxuries,. without selling something first, and you were still there for us. So we continued to sell on abay, and then buy, again on ebay, in good faith, supporting the site that was supporting us.

Unfortunately, speaking for myself, this has all changed drastically.

No longer is it a great platform for making some extra money, there is little profit to be made since the introduction of fees on postage, as the postage for most items is more than the value of the item, and going up all the time...

and what might be made is easily withdrawn by those holding the purse strings, when the buyer decides they want their money back!

We lose our merchandise, and are out of pocket all expenses, not to mention the damage that can be done to our reputation. There is no comeback for the seller, and we can be slandered and perjured and have no recourse.

For myself, I had to stop working in a paying job due to chronic pain and fatigue, and have been spending my time and savings building up my store and my hope for a future, foolishly assuming that if I put as much time and effort in as I could, I would be rewarded for my effort. ( again not to mention my savings ..building up my stock!) This was the ebay I started with and loved.

I am so horrified to know now that at any time, I may be erased by the staff at ebay due to an unfair defect system, a policy change, some unrealistic buyer expectations, or some serial negative feedbacker or scammer , with no recourse!

All the hours I have put in, all the dramas, all the costs, all the stress, what suprise have ebay got for us next??

to be continued.. any suggestions?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

You had me right up to the stage of pulling the unemployed due to fatigue and back pain statement. If it was that bad to stop work how do you run your own business now.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

I actually do an hour or so every few hours or so!  Thats all I can manage. It's hard work, but I have no choice, no other form of income or support. Some days I can't do a thing, other days I can manage a bit more. Thats why ebay is ideal for someone like me.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Well said lizzy.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Don't let thoughtless comments put you down Lizzie. Some people have no understanding about disabilities or being disabled. I admire you for trying to do all you can to support yourself and I agree that it is a great shame that the old eBay we loved so much has arrived at the stage where many of us will disappear. I wish I had some answers for you but I am in the same boat. All we can do is just keep chugging along covering our **bleeps** where we can and hope for the best.

Take care.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

thanks guys,

If there is one thing that being unwell has taught me in the last few years, it's that some people do like to kick you when you are down! I am used to it now. I expect it. People can't see your pain or your struggle, so they criticise. I have done it myself to some degree when I was a nurse, if someone looks well, then they can't be as sick as they say etc, now it's my turn to be humbled!

Such assumptions I can't take as intended and let them bother me (too much) 😉

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

I didn't bother reading past the first 2 sentences, he wouldn't give a **bleep**.

those who think he would, well your ........................................................................................................................Smiley Mad

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

I agree it's not his baby anymore, he has moved on. Why should he care and even if he did there is nothing he can do about it.
Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Yes, I am sure thats the case.. wish he could start another version!

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

I'm sure you are not alone in thinking that Lizzy
Message 10 of 18
Latest reply