Defect on seller rating for cancelling a transaction

Can anyone explain ( ebay can't) that if I list an item clearly stating no overseas postage & then some zero idiot overseas buys it ( & it is impossible to send overseas) & I cancel the transaction I get a defect on my rating. Another great ebay idea.!!!

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Have you done the following? If not, international buyers will still be able to buy from you.

Specifying your postage costs and locations

Specifying where you post to

You can exclude certain regions or countries from the places you're willing to post to.

To specify locations you don't post to:

1. Go to My eBay and click the Account tab.

2. Click the Site Preferences link on the left side of the page.

3. Click the Show link to see the Postage Preferences section.

4. Click the Edit link next to Exclude postage locations from your listings.

5. Select the states, territories, countries, or regions you don't want to post to. If you only want to exclude certain countries in a region, clickShow all countries next to that region's name.

6. Click the Apply button to save your selections.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/shipping-costs.html#where

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@lenalookout wrote:

Can anyone explain ( ebay can't) that if I list an item clearly stating no overseas postage & then some zero idiot overseas buys it ( & it is impossible to send overseas) & I cancel the transaction I get a defect on my rating. Another great ebay idea.!!!

eBay basically think (or at least act like) it's your fault if you allow a non-eligible member to purchase an item (and by allow, I mean stating explicitly that postage is only within Australia, but not actually blocking buyers with addresses in other countries).

I think a buyer purchasing an item that clearly can't be posted to them still qualifies as "buyer purchased item in error", which is what I would choose from the menu when sending the cancellation, and shouldn't result in a defect (I presume it's too late now, though 😕

Best thing to do now is as above and make sure you set up the blocks to try and prevent it from happening again. You may need to go through currently active listings and double-check to make sure it's applied to existing listings, because while eBay says it will apply to current listings, often it only takes effect on new listings. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Same sort of thing happened to us...

Clearly 'No International Postage' - 'Australia only'  stated in our Listing, however a Buyer from Bolivia managed to purchase the item ($4.00 AUD) and requested an Invoice.  Tried to Cancel the Transaction but the Buyer Refused to cancel, now there is no other way to Cancel the Transaction and our eBay Selling Rating now has a "Defect" because of a "Cancelled Transaction".

EBay, when contacted, advised of a list of procedures (eg List of countries we do not post to) to ensure No International Postage for Listings in the FUTURE, but did not address the current Transaction in question!

This really is totally unfair as we orginially stated NO International Postage... once again the Seller is penalised for something they have no control over.

Would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks, and have a great New Year!

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Sellers need to follow the procedures in post 2. This is the sellers control over international buyers.

Just 'no international post' selected in the listing, doesn't stop international buyers from being able to bid & buy.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

It doesn't, but I'm quite sure there is a clause somewhere that says that a sale is null and void if a buyer doesn't meet the terms of sale . . . and IMO, writing that international buyers are not allowed on a listing would constitute terms of sale. I can't look it up right now but I think it's listed in the "unwanted and malicious buying" policy.

I'd be calling them again and quoting it. Worth a try.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

And just to make doubly sure they are blocked, it's worth blocking buyers with an address you don't post to in the buyer requirements.  http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply