Defects - eBay is a Defect!

In my selling name I recently cancelled 2 listings because of a relist lag, ie relists weren't showing & took some time to reappear so I chose "Sell Similar" then had to cancel those listings when the originals eventually appeared overnight.

&..... guess what! that has caused Account Defects & dropped me from Top Rated status to Above Standard......!

This is the most moronic convoluted set up ever! eBay is strangling itself with this idiocy!

Franky I don't give a sh*t about all their BS inteference however their tampering with listing visibilty obviously affects sales adversly but in effect they're cuting their own throat as no sales = no income for eBay via fees..... great way to run a business ay!

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Defects - eBay is a Defect!

Well OP has received defects in this case

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

It shouldn't but sellers have been receiving defects anyway because the buyer then doesn't respond to the cancellation.

All your defects are in your seller dashboard if you have any and the reasons for the defects.

As ebay are doing everything possible to get rid of small sellers I wouldn't/won't be cancelling for any kind of reason at all anymore as I just don't know what I could receive a defect for,1 or 2 more defects and I'm a goner lol. 

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

If the buyer asks you to cancel you shouldn't get a defect, but you need to make sure you tick the "buyer requested it" option when you do the cancellation.
Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

comcol
Community Member

Yes Ebay is a joke but so is their fabricated ranking system.

I would not blink about being rated a so called 'top seller'.

Until Ebay speaks with me to solve some issues I am with with holding some 5000 in fees. 20 emails and a dozen phone calls and still cannot get answers.(Yes they can shut my account. Could not care less anymore. I learnt long ago to get others and use different IP addresses because of Ebay's attitude)

Due to late payment of fees I have been dropped to' above standard' ranking I have actually had more sales in 3 days then in a month..lol

So much for their rubbish ranking system hey.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

@egyptian-shop wrote:

How many defects can a seller have before being stopped from selling and do they disappear after a certain time?

It's worked out in a couple of different ways, depending on sales volume, but the percentage is the main way. eBay will look at either 3 months (if you have 400+ transactions during 3 months) or 12 months, when they work out the defect rate, and older ones will no longer count if they are oustide the evaluation period (eg a 4-month old defect won't count any more for a seller who is evaluated on 3 months). 

To get below standard you need to have received defects for 5% of your transactions, from at least 8 different buyers. That means you can actually have a higher defect percentage and not be below standard, if you've only sold a few things (eg say you've sold 2 things and got a defect for one, you'd technically have a 50% defect rate, but you won't go below standard because it's from one buyer). 

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

I wish they would take that stupid top rating rubbish off our my ebay page it is really distressing

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

Ranking system is about to change - selected sellers will be able to pay to have their items first on the search list - not an option open to all of us - only a select few. LOL

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m05/i27/s01
Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

Not stealing your thunder here, but Im going to post that link in its own thread so more people see it...

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

When the words 'Ebay' and 'algorithm' are used in a sentence you can be assure it is nothing but a lie and scam.

Maybe someone should tell Ebay this is supposed to be an AUCTION site. Therefore, the fair and decent thing is to have the default page as time ending soonest. If people choose to do searches then they can.

The ENTIRE issue with this site is the dishonest and mis-leading default page setting Ebay uses.

WHy should people all pay the same fees when only a select few get all the advertising.

No chance.

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

And the Defect System is SO AWESOME that when you sell an item (second hand, of which only one exists) and you it's discover it's developed a fault when conducting a final pre-posting test (as a responsible Seller generally would) you get an AWESOME DEFECT for contacting the Buyer, letting them know that a fault has developed and you can't in good consience send the faulty item and cancelling the transaction and refunding in full.

In the real world it's called, among other things, Duty of Care or Due Dilligence, even Customer Service, where in the eBay world it's classified as being defective.  

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

Stupid, stupid sysyem.

Time eBay actually did something REAL to penalise the plethora of non paying Buyers plaguing the Sellers.  THAT would be a change for the better.

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply