Did I set my auto decline too high for Best Offer?

I listed a dress for $70 with an auto decline of offers under $55. Is that a reasonable expectation with best offer? Or do most buyers expect to get more than $15 off?

I just had someone offer their way up from $45 and hit $55 on their 4th offer. I'll be taking the offer but I was just wondering whether I should keep 'Best Offer'? Expect to take more off the price? Or I could lower the price manually after a while instead without Best Offer?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts 🙂

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I used to use best offer quite a lot for clothes - pre-owned, one-offs, anyway, mostly because I liked to keep them turning over as quickly as possibe. NWT stuff I just set a price, then adjusted the price if I saw fit, or had a sale... but, otherwise, I used it because I had an ideal (preferred) price range, but was willing to negotiate because the longer it sat around, the less I valued it Smiley LOL (as another example, say I got something really cheap and valued it at $100, and by "valued", I mean that would be a good sell price on eBay, so I'll list it at $100, but be prepared to take less if I couldn't get that). I tended to allow a 10-20% discount range, and would alway counter-offer rather than accept outright if the offer was decent but still on the lower end of the scale. 

The other thing was, sometimes I listed clothing for auction expecting it to go for around $15-20 and it would sell for $50, so best offer kind of takes that principle and allows buyer and seller to come to a mutually beneficial deal outside of the auction process. That is, no bidding war blowing out the price for the buyer, but the seller can value higher than an auction start price, sell lower than asking price, and still get a good outcome (i.e. better than a 1-bidder auction). 

And sometimes a seller just wants to see how the market is valuing their goods.

In the end, I stopped using best offer because most people who wanted an item just bought it, which indicated to me that by and large, my pricing was pretty spot-on when it came to actually selling them. (I still have a couple of clearance type items with best offer enabled - BIN price is either just above or just below cost, but I will consider other offers just to get them outta here. 😄 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

I use best offer nearly on all my listings, basically just set the offer price to the lowest you are willing to acept, and $15.00 of a $70 item is quite generous, where i find this feature good is the more that make offers even unaccepted, they only get 3 cracks at it, it generates a higher search generation on the item, and a lot of the time if a buyer makes offers below our auto accept amount, and if they really want it will buy at the asking price anyway, sort of generates a semi bidding system.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Just to put forward another point of view, which involves totally different items, so a slightly different perspective.

I know there are some who may not agree with this, (lol, I know there are certainly buyers who don't like it, which is unfortunate), but as I sell low value items, I have it on all my listings to try and encourage buyers who may be interested in buying multiples of a certain item or several different items.  So if I get a very low offer for just one single item, I send a counter offer (usually with a tiny discount) and add a note explaining.  Quite often they will then accept my counter offer and go on to make more reasonable offers on several items.  So it works very well for me.  I actually have a customer at the moment who made a low offer on an item, I counter offered and explained & she has since gone ahead and made offers on around 60 items !

I have also had buyers message with a list of items they would like to buy & ask, would you accept $*** for these ?  So it does seem to plant that seed that you are negotiable Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

We use Make an offer on nearly all our items. I think that when we get a ridiculously low offer it is the buyers way to get us to tell them via a counter offer what is the lowest we will accept. So I usually have a chuckle, especially when it is really really low, and go OK I know what you are doing, and work out what we will accept, send it back to them and then wait. Probably 75% of the time they accept the counter offer. I don't view it as being rude, just an attempt to suss us out.

Our counter offers are worked out via combination of how old the item is, how long been listed, is it something that normally would or would not sell, do we want to get rid of it, and how are our current sales tracking. So accepting offers or not is not set in concrete and will depend on quite a few things.

Having said all that, if the original offer is around 15-20% off the price, I do think that is probably fair and reasonable, and 90% of the time will accept if we can.

Some items we don't  use Make an Offer as there isn't much room to move so keep them at the lowest margin, and just list as BIN. So we have a mix of listings and find that this works for us, but who knows what is around the corner and we may change our thoughts as changes happen with us or indeed with ebays policies. 

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

saarzi
Community Member

My experience with the "Best Buy" feature as a buyer is that its a bit of a joke. Most sellers seem to have the price set very close to their buy it now price, and simply use it to lure buyers in to the listing.  I dont bother with it anymore at all.

I dont think $15 on $70 is unreasonable though.

But.. why list it for $70, then just accept $55?  For me as a buyer, it gives the impression its only worth $55... but youll set it for $70 in the hopes someone couldnbt be bothered with the Best Buy feature.  For me, that indicates a seller who isnt really interested in giving value. They are just after price. Its not a car or house youre selling where the price usually comes down (or is it?).

Not sayin others feel that way though... maybe just me lol

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

its like constantly having a $100 item on sale for $75. If its always on sale for $75, then its probably not worth $100 to begin with...

Best Buy gives me that type of impression.

Thats probably why Best Buys get such low offers. To get a bargain, a buyer has to offer lower than what a seller is willing to accept year round. The buy is now price isnt what they are willing to accept - its the best buy price.

If that makes sense..... it probably doesnt... lol

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Well, my original plan was to start at $70 and to reduce the price after a while until it sold.

Then I remembered the 'Best Offer' feature and I thought I might give it a go because I wouldn't need to worry about editing the price in the future...

Also I like to break even with my new items but I'd be happy to take a loss to get rid of the item to a buyer with solid feedback. So it's kind of like a reduced price is available for certain buyers?

But I do understand that buyers would think they are not getting the best deal if they don't make an offer like you said xD
Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

I like best offer as a buyer and a seller Cat Very Happy

I think your settings for the best offer example spacetomatoes is fine.

As I list through inkfrog and am trialling a beta lister at the moment I am currently unable to add it to my listings, or otherwise I would have on more, as I have always done very, very well with best offer particularly for higher priced goods close to and over $100.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

I used to use best offer quite a lot for clothes - pre-owned, one-offs, anyway, mostly because I liked to keep them turning over as quickly as possibe. NWT stuff I just set a price, then adjusted the price if I saw fit, or had a sale... but, otherwise, I used it because I had an ideal (preferred) price range, but was willing to negotiate because the longer it sat around, the less I valued it Smiley LOL (as another example, say I got something really cheap and valued it at $100, and by "valued", I mean that would be a good sell price on eBay, so I'll list it at $100, but be prepared to take less if I couldn't get that). I tended to allow a 10-20% discount range, and would alway counter-offer rather than accept outright if the offer was decent but still on the lower end of the scale. 

The other thing was, sometimes I listed clothing for auction expecting it to go for around $15-20 and it would sell for $50, so best offer kind of takes that principle and allows buyer and seller to come to a mutually beneficial deal outside of the auction process. That is, no bidding war blowing out the price for the buyer, but the seller can value higher than an auction start price, sell lower than asking price, and still get a good outcome (i.e. better than a 1-bidder auction). 

And sometimes a seller just wants to see how the market is valuing their goods.

In the end, I stopped using best offer because most people who wanted an item just bought it, which indicated to me that by and large, my pricing was pretty spot-on when it came to actually selling them. (I still have a couple of clearance type items with best offer enabled - BIN price is either just above or just below cost, but I will consider other offers just to get them outta here. 😄 

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

I use best offer nearly on all my listings, basically just set the offer price to the lowest you are willing to acept, and $15.00 of a $70 item is quite generous, where i find this feature good is the more that make offers even unaccepted, they only get 3 cracks at it, it generates a higher search generation on the item, and a lot of the time if a buyer makes offers below our auto accept amount, and if they really want it will buy at the asking price anyway, sort of generates a semi bidding system.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Thank you thecatspjs and omg, DG - you are totally right! The longer I have an item lying around, I feel like I value it less and just want to get rid of it haha.

My dresses are just one-offs so I might keep Best Offer in place now. I think a 10-20% discount sounds reasonable too 🙂 And I guess I'll try be more daring like you and counter offer for lower decent offer xD
Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Oh really? I didn't know that about the unaccepted offers :0 I thought that people might think I was rejecting all my offers even though it was on auto decline. Good to hear that there's a benefit though 🙂

You are right though - if a buyer really wants it, they will buy it. And 3 chances per account you mean haha 😉
Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Yes that correct 3 chances per account, you can view all the offers on your listing on your listing by selecting Review all offers, can be good for a laugh as some will offer $10 on a expensive item

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply